Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Vacuum Cleaner Bearing Question with Pics

Hi,

I posted before about the bearings in my vacuum. I now have pics
also. I almost bought a new vacuum, but thought I would give the
repair another look.

To recap, the ball bearings have actually come out of my vacuum
motor shaft. I am trying to figure out where they are supposed to
go. Also trying to figure out if I need to remove some sort of "race
and bearings" assembly on the shaft and replace the race and bearings
as a pre-assembled unit ( and where to buy it).

The ball bearings are silver and are smaller than beebees.

I have 2 pics, below. Shaft, and motor.

The round pill box shaped thing on the left of the shaft, next to
the fan, works great, spins freely, and is not the problem.

The lost bearings, I presume, are supposed to go on the right side
of the shaft somewhere. Maybe near the loose washer.

Anyone who can help, please feel free to chime in ! I can take
additional photos, if it would help.

Thanks

shaft.............
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4198573456/

motor.............
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4198573450/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 19, 7:17*pm, Vacillator wrote:
[...]

Take the motor to a repair shop
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are industrial suppliers who can sell you bearings. You would
require to know the exact size, metal type, and temperature
characteristics ratings to select the proper match.

You'd be best off to take the motor in to a motor re-builder and have
a full re-build done. This would make for a much more reliable
outcome.

The solution I would have used was to call the vacuum company and
order a new motor. Sometimes these motors have life time warranties on
them depending on the type of vacuum cleaner.

I had a vacuum cleaner that after 10 years it stopped working. I sent
it to the company to have it serviced. They changed the motor and
power switch. I had to only pay the labor and the shipping. They said
the parts failure was due to a production fault.

Jerry G.