Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Default Two phases to house - loss of neutral

I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

Sylvia.

Phases? The Medway Handyman UK diy 43 October 29th 07 05:42 PM
Bad neutral on 220VAC from pole to house. Every appliance ruined. [email protected] Home Repair 23 February 22nd 07 05:35 PM
Phases of Redecoration [email protected] UK diy 0 December 13th 06 08:14 PM
4 gauge neutral wire doesn't fit in my neutral bus panel? sparty Home Repair 8 July 22nd 06 01:50 AM
Council planning 8.5m extension to neighbour's house. Can we get recompense for any loss in property value? Trojan Hussar UK diy 21 April 9th 05 07:44 PM