Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Mitsubishi model CS26201 dark pix

The customer said that while they were watching the set they thought
that they heard a slight pop. The picture then seemed to be a bit
darker. I looked inside for anything obvious and didn't see anything.
The picture actually looks good most of the time except for VERY dark
scenes. They seem to be VERY dark with saturated chroma. This set is a
different chassis than the typical PIP module issue so that is not the
cause of this. I attempted to raise the screen control a little and it
will raise slightly but not enough to show retrace lines. If I had a
remote come in with this set I could try the brightness and contrast
controls but the customer doesn't have one. My universal remotes will
not get me into the customer picture adjust menus so I can't see if
trying to make those adjustments would help. This is a 27 inch plain
vanilla set. I don't want to tell this guy he needs an OEM type
remote only then to find out he needs a repair as well. The guy uses
the set with his video game and has apparently been without a remote
for years. Does anyone have any ideas on this problem, or is there any
history of picture issues with this model that anyone is aware of?
Thanks, Lenny