Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD H - Lin ...?

Little bit OT in that it's not any item that's on my bench, or ever will be

Just returned from a trip across the pond, and the return aircraft was a
B-767 - the crappy dash 200 model with overhead screens. The large screen
which was on the bulkhead a few rows in front of me, and which I believe was
an LCD not a plaz, had real horizontal linearity issues at the lefthand
side. Nothing 'sharp' or 'digital' as you might expect with LCD display
technology, but a smoothly worsening error, the further you got to the
lefthand side. By about a quarter of the way across, the lin was normal, and
remained so across the rest of the screen. The best way to describe it is
that it looked exactly as a CRT set would, if someone had mis-set the
H-linearity coil.

Now I've been involved with LCD TV sets and monitors since they were first
out, and I can't ever remember seeing one with this sort of effect. Saddo
that I am, I have been wracking my brains to try to figure out just how this
could even occur.

Anyone else ever seen this effect on an LCD display, or have any thoughts on
how it could occur ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Anyone else ever seen this effect on an LCD display, or have any thoughts on
how it could occur ?

Might the screen have been an LCD, or a CRT, which "bounces" the image
onto a translucent display screen via a mirror or lens arrangement of
some sort? All sort of opportunity for linearity and misalignment
issues with that sort of arrangement.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
Anyone else ever seen this effect on an LCD display, or have any thoughts
on
how it could occur ?

Might the screen have been an LCD, or a CRT, which "bounces" the image
onto a translucent display screen via a mirror or lens arrangement of
some sort? All sort of opportunity for linearity and misalignment
issues with that sort of arrangement.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

No evidence of any kind of 'line structure' on the display Dave, so I don't
think that it was any kind of CRT display, direct or indirect. It was just a
typical flat panel display on a bulkhead wall, the other side of which was a
toilet. As well as these main bulkhead displays (there were several
throughout the length of the aircraft) there were also 'repeater' displays
suspended from the cabin ceiling at regular intervals over the left and
right aisles. These were definitely small LCDs and were perfectly linear in
both axes, which rules out there being any intrinsic non linearity in the
original picture before it was placed on whatever media was used onboard the
aircraft. It's a strange one, for sure ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 18, 4:44*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Dave Platt" wrote in message

[...]

I have seen this, and stranger effects, in LCD sets. For instance,
I've seen the image "fold-over" on the right side of the screen as if
it's hitting the inside of the CRT, but much more subtly, confined to
about 1/4" of the picture. I always figured it was some sort of
phenomenon arising from the A-to-D of the analog input signal, but I
don't even know if that's possible. I'd also be interested in hearing
what others think of this.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

[...]

what others think of this.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

[...]

Was only the one bulkhead display non-linear? Did you get a chance to
see the bulkhead display on the other side of the plane? I've
traveled a lot over the years and seen minor non-linearity, but all
the LCD displays were always equal and so it was the source. LCD's
should by their very nature be linear unless the digital electronics
are "counting" wrong.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

[...]

My thoughts exactly, Bob, which is why I am having so much trouble getting
my head around this one. As to other displays being like it, there was only
one more bulkhead one in front of me, right at the front of the cabin just
before business class, and then there was another in there with them, which
I couldn't see - remember that this was a crappy little 767 that Delta had
put on in place of the wide-bodied plane that we should have been on, and
which would have had individual seatback LCDs. The 767 has a 2 - 3 - 2 seat
configuration, so only large bulkhead displays up the middle. (In defence of
the aircraft though, I have to say that it was very quick - 7hrs 22m across
the Atlantic - and the leather seats were very comfortable). Anyways, the
display right at the front wasn't close enough to see in detail, but the
repeater screens over the aisles certainly were, and as I think I said
elsewhere, these were perfectly linear in both axes, which I feel eliminates
the source signal as being in error in any way.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
.
.. On Oct 18, 6:11 pm, "

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

[...]

I think you're right about the analog signal processing being the source of
the problem.
Any digital problem would be severe and highly noticeable.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:35:01 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

[...]

My Olevia 32" has a 'panoramic' setting that makes it look as you
desribe but on both sides.

My mother's widescreen Panasonic CRT set had a 'nonsense' mode like this, as
well. It used to switch itself to it automatically on such things as sports
events, so you would get a sort of 'underwater' effect as the camera panned
across a football field following the ball, or track runners that went from
Stan to Olly as they progressed across the screen. I wonder why
manufacturers put rubbish modes like this on their sets ?Did someone at Pan
actually come up with this crappy idea, and think that it looked ok ? And
worse, did his team supervisor actually sign off on it ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Wow that would be annoying to have it switch on automatically. I hate
it and it would drive me even more crazy to watch it in that mode.

One annoying thing mine does is forget its power on/off LED setting. I
don't care to see it when the set is on and certainly not when its off
since it is in my bedroom and is very bright. Bar getting into the
setup and turning it back off almost every other time the set is on
I'm ready to cover it with some black tape. I'm sure a firmware update
would fix it and there's a USB port for it but alas Syntax Brillian
filed for Chapter 11 on On July 8, 2008 and its assetts including the
Olevia name were purchased by Emerson Radio....heh. So I guess
I'm screwed and if anything major happens, it will be on the trash
truck next time it comes by. (unless you might have some info on where
to turn)

Black tape sounds good to me ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
Good thing is the Olevia doesn't get used much because when I head for
the bedroom it's usually time to retire for the evening. I usually set
the off timer for a couple hours and often wake up in my reclining
leather office chair with my feet up on a stool and the set off. :-p

It's a wonder no one has invented a watchdog device that can tune in on
the comatose state of a human and kill surrounding powered equipment as
necessary. Think of the energy saving over a timer.

--
Adrian C