Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Battery Charger Tripping

A charger for a 36volt Electric Bicycle is tripping audibly. The output
voltage with no load rises to only a fraction of the 36v between trips.
Disconnecting the output winding of the switching transformer doesn't stop
the tripping so the fault appears to be aound the TOP247Y IC or the
associated transformer.
Should I be an optimist and buy a new IC?

TIA
John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 9, 6:01*am, "John" wrote:
A charger for a 36volt Electric Bicycle is tripping audibly. The output
voltage with no load rises to only a fraction of the 36v between trips.
Disconnecting the output winding of the switching transformer doesn't stop
the tripping so the fault appears to be aound the TOP247Y IC or the
associated transformer.
Should I be an optimist and buy a new IC?

TIA
John

A make and model number or further information would be a BIG help
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 9 mayo, 13:01, "John" wrote:
A charger for a 36volt Electric Bicycle is tripping audibly. The output
voltage with no load rises to only a fraction of the 36v between trips.
Disconnecting the output winding of the switching transformer doesn't stop
the tripping so the fault appears to be aound the TOP247Y IC or the
associated transformer.
Should I be an optimist and buy a new IC?

TIA
John

have yo u measured diodes and resistors in the secondary stage s to
check for shorts or hi-values? start with the simplest or cheapest
things first!
-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"b" wrote in message
On 9 mayo, 13:01, "John" wrote:
A charger for a 36volt Electric Bicycle is tripping audibly. The

output
voltage with no load rises to only a fraction of the 36v between

trips.
Disconnecting the output winding of the switching transformer

doesn't stop
the tripping so the fault appears to be aound the TOP247Y IC or

the
associated transformer.
Should I be an optimist and buy a new IC?

TIA
John

have yo u measured diodes and resistors in the secondary stage s to
check for shorts or hi-values? start with the simplest or cheapest
things first!
-B

Good idea to look for a simple or cheap solution. However, I think I
have eliminateed the relatively large number of components on the
secondary side by disconnecting the secondary winding. I also checked
the feedback opto-coupler is not s/c.
On the primary side there are only a few components likely to cause
repetitive restart symptoms. My guess is: Trannsformer, IC, 2 series
diodes across the primary winding. The diodes test OK on a simple
meter test. There is no sign of any heat stressed component.
John