DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fixing smd with soldering iron? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/276112-fixing-smd-soldering-iron.html)

poster April 17th 09 05:34 AM

fixing smd with soldering iron?

when smd chip board contacts get loose is it better using the regular
soldering iron to touch/press on chip leg at point where it comes
out of chip package or down at the board contact?tnx

N_Cook April 17th 09 07:53 AM

poster wrote in message
when smd chip board contacts get loose is it better using the regular
soldering iron to touch/press on chip leg at point where it comes
out of chip package or down at the board contact?tnx

Where the main thermal mass is, point of soldering iron at the junction of
pin and trace. If, like me, you rarely do SMD soldering and cannot justify
obtaining solder paste or sub-millimetre solder. If you have some way of
rolling , roll down 1mm solder to thin strip and slice down with a razor for
short lengths of sub-mm.

For SMD de-soldering , on the cheap, on my tips files below

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England