Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NAvman f20 Satnav Power connector

Hi all, got a Navman F20 SatNav where the mini usb connector has broken off
from the board. Long shot this i know but its going to be almost impossible
to solder to the original broken track as there very little left showing so
does anyone have detail of alternative points on the motherboard the
connector pins can be wired to

Also, any links to DIY SatNav repair info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Graham Robinson" wrote in message
Hi all, got a Navman F20 SatNav where the mini usb connector has broken
off from the board. Long shot this i know but its going to be almost
impossible to solder to the original broken track as there very little
left showing so does anyone have detail of alternative points on the
motherboard the connector pins can be wired to

Also, any links to DIY SatNav repair info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Graham

There's some good helpful people over on sci.geo.satellite-nav

Someone there might be able to point you at where you can get some help with
this problem

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:32:55 -0000, "Graham Robinson"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hi all, got a Navman F20 SatNav where the mini usb connector has broken off
from the board. Long shot this i know but its going to be almost impossible
to solder to the original broken track as there very little left showing so
does anyone have detail of alternative points on the motherboard the
connector pins can be wired to

FWIW, I found the following site while investing the possibility of
hacking my brother's F20:
http://www.kroemeke.eu/navman.html (internal photos and file list)

It seems to me that you could try to identify the chip which handles
the USB function, locate its datasheet, and then work backwards with a
multimeter from the chip's USB pins to the mini-USB connector. That's
how I determined the pinout of the unpopulated USB connector on my DVD
player's decoder PCB. The USB Data+ and Data- pins should have pull-up
or pull-down resistors to indicate the speed of the interface. Whether
these are discrete resistors, or internal to the USB chip, I don't
know. Mini-USB also has a fifth pin which signals, via a resistor or
link to ground, whether the OTG (on the go) USB port defaults to being
a host or peripheral.

This article shows how these resistors are configured:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm...=1822&CMP=WP-3

Also, any links to DIY SatNav repair info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Graham

I have several GPS circuits which I've downloaded from the FCC
database. If you can identify your USB chip, maybe I can locate a
suitable circuit diagram.

- Franc Zabkar