Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UPDATE: RCA TV model J20541, chassis CTC203J2 with Excessive Reg B+

Hi,

I didn't locate the source of the problem (see below) after testing many
parts, but I used a "patch", after the owner gave permission, to restore the
proper B+, which I assume is +130V (HV now around 25KV). Note: I do
not have SM.

"Patch" to Restore Reg B+ to 130V:

880K (resistors combo) across R14115, 143K.

Thanks to Franc Zabkar for the training manual source (see below).
It has partial schematics.

I found a few others on the web that had the same problem, one
had exactly the same "+154" volts, however no one posted a solution. One
person said he had that problem and he said the problem lies on the secondary
side of the transformer in the feedback circuit, but he didn't say what
part(s) he replaced (if he fixed it?). Of course, this is what I suspected in
the beginning, and I checked many parts in the feedback for the
regulator, also the regulator reference circuit, and many parts around the
regulator on the primary side. I checked +13V and +16V sources, which were
about a volt+ high until I installed the "patch".

Next, I would have to replace semi-conductors, although I tested them in
circuit, to see if one of them is the problem, but there is a limit to how
much time, and the customer is willing to pay me to fix this 20" TV. I
already spent too much time on this repair project.

Brad

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:11:55 GMT, Brad wrote:

Hi,

I have a 20" screen RCA TV model J20541, chassis CTC203J2
(mfg 10/00) in my service shop (no SM).

TV tries to go on, but turns right off due to excessive HV. The
regulated B+ measured +154V which is too high.

I tested some parts in the voltage regulator circuit, but without a
schematic, I am "handicapped".

Did anyone fix a similar problem with this or similar chassis TV?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Response from Franc regarding the source for the training manual:

I managed to unpack the archive with Winrar, but you need to download
all 6 parts first.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=31473
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=31474
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=31475