Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components
JW JW is offline

Default Rotary encoders for 65XX and 66XX power supplies

Hello,

Does anybody know of a suitable replacement for the optical rotary
encoders that were used on older Agilent/HP 65XX and 66XX power supplies?
These were phased out on the newer generation supplies which use
mechanical types. Agilent no longer has any stock, and advises me to
replace the entire front panel PCB at a cost of $631.00.

I believe that the encoders are part #0960-0822. I have no documentation
on them. Pictures can be seen he
http://home.comcast.net/~66gtojayw/A..._encoder-1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~66gtojayw/A..._encoder-2.jpg

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components

JW wrote in message
Hello,

Does anybody know of a suitable replacement for the optical rotary
encoders that were used on older Agilent/HP 65XX and 66XX power supplies?
These were phased out on the newer generation supplies which use
mechanical types. Agilent no longer has any stock, and advises me to
replace the entire front panel PCB at a cost of $631.00.

I believe that the encoders are part #0960-0822. I have no documentation
on them. Pictures can be seen he
http://home.comcast.net/~66gtojayw/A..._encoder-1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~66gtojayw/A..._encoder-2.jpg

Thanks.

'scuse my ignorance but where are rotary encoders used in power supplies ?
dialling up voltages ? so can replace with something else only functionally
the same ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:37:28 -0400, JW put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Does anybody know of a suitable replacement for the optical rotary
encoders that were used on older Agilent/HP 65XX and 66XX power supplies?
These were phased out on the newer generation supplies which use
mechanical types. Agilent no longer has any stock, and advises me to
replace the entire front panel PCB at a cost of $631.00.

I believe that the encoders are part #0960-0822. I have no documentation
on them. Pictures can be seen he
http://home.comcast.net/~66gtojayw/A..._encoder-1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~66gtojayw/A..._encoder-2.jpg

Thanks.

I believe that QRPG = Quadrature (?) Rotary Pulse Generator

Your encoder looks similar to the HRPG series.

HRPG Series Miniature Panel Mount Optical Encoders (H=housed?):
http://www.avagotech.com/docs/5988-5851EN

Pinout:

1. Ground (dot on bottom)
2. Channel B
3. Vcc (+5V)
4. Channel A
5. Shield (Housing Ground)

FWIW, the following URL states that the "HP optical encoders (HP
QRPG-A475) ... are 32 count per revolution, with quadrature output.
Actual Part#: HRPG-AS32#14C".

http://web.archive.org/web/200401031...a/robot2.shtml

Mouser carry this part (HRPG-AS32#59C):
http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...7nWCOk3A%3D%3D

Unfortunately the MOQ is 20 units @ $38 each :-(

Here is a Bourns 32PPR optical encoder (US$18, MOQ=1):
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...vD1LXCKg%3d%3d

Datasheet:
http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/em14.pdf

It may be worth noting that the following HP encoder also has a 5-pin
connector, but different pinout. Therefore I wouldn't assume that the
HRPG and QRPG pinouts are identical.

HEDM-55xx/560x & HEDS-55xx/56xx Quick Assembly Two and Three Channel
Optical Encoders:
http://www.avagotech.com/pages/en/mo...used_mid_size/
http://www.avagotech.com/cs/Satellit...&ssbinary=true

Pinout:

1. Ground
2. Not connected
3. Channel A
4. Vcc (+5V)
5. Channel B

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components
JW JW is offline

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 06:31:28 +1000 Franc Zabkar
wrote in Message id:
:

Here is a Bourns 32PPR optical encoder (US$18, MOQ=1):
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...vD1LXCKg%3d%3d

Thanks for all your help Franc. I think I'll give that one a try.

power supplies hdtv?[_2_] Electronics Repair 0 September 21st 07 03:47 PM
PWM power supplies!! Rono Electronics Repair 2 March 20th 05 10:29 PM
Two power supplies? salaryman Electronics 0 December 31st 04 01:00 AM
PC power supplies Jimmy Electronics 14 October 28th 03 04:01 AM
"pc" power supplies Roy J. Tellason Electronics Repair 4 October 23rd 03 08:03 PM