Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default MYSTERY Compaq Laptop is "Alive" Again!!!

Hi,

Well it "died" (3rd time) again. This "mystery" laptop only
"lives" for 2 to 4 days. This time, it died 5 minutes after it booted
up. Unless I learn what is the causes of this mystery, I will no longer
attempt to use it.
Brad

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:49:12 GMT, in sci.electronics.repair you wrote:

Hi,

It's "alive" again (second time)! After a few months of storage (RTC/CMOS
battery removed), I hooked it up and it boots up!!! This is the second time
this Compaq Presario 1200XL needed a long rest before coming back to
"life"!!!! NOTE: When it "dies", it will not boot up a few days to a week
afterwards. I had tried this procedure both times, but this "mystery" laptop
needs a long "rest" before it can be brought back to "life"!.

I "flashed" the BIOS via SP15611.EXE Rom Paq downloaded
from HP.com. I installed a new RTC battery, but I will keep the main
battery removed. NOTE: The first time it "died", the main battery was
installed. The second time it "died", the main battery wasn't installed.

I will no longer use this "mystery" laptop for anything important on the
chance it will "die" again.

Brad

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I found hundreds of postings regarding the Presario 1200XL series laptop
with the same or similar problem as I have (see my original post below).

It is my impression that one common cause of this problem is the flash
bios going bad. It seems that somehow, there is a connection with a dead
RTC/CMOS battery and flash bios!!! I replaced my dead RTC/CMOS
battery (like many others did), but that isn't enough.

I read several reports that stated the laptop was brought back to life
after the flash bios was replaced, along with a new RTC/CMOS battery.

My impression is the 1200XL series is a LEMON or this was designed
into the system so the laptop last for as long as the RTC/CMOS battery?

Brad

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:31:53 GMT, in sci.electronics.repair you wrote:

Hi,

My Compaq Presario 1200XL laptop/notebook won't power up (dead).

Note: I service TVs, etc. but not computers except my own.

I checked the power micro switch (AOK). I removed the
battery, then tried to power it up again the next day without
installing the battery. Also, I used a bench power supply set
at 19Vs as a sub for the AC adapter with the same results.
I checked the 5 amp fuse on the mother board.

When I press the power button/switch, there is absolutely no sign
of a response (reason I checked micro switch).

The only indicator that lights is the one that shows the AC adapter
is plugged in.

If I could get my hands on a schematic, that will be a big help.

Thanks in advance, Brad

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you don't have to use it as a portable, leave it plugged in.

I've had similar (though not exactly identical) problems with a ThinkPad
760D. The "dying" might be the computer trying to go into sleep or
power-down mode. Have you checked the settings? (You might have accidentally
changed the "Power schemes". It's all-too-easy to do.)

If that doesn't resolve the issue, make a note of the BIOS settings, then
replace the CMOS backup battery.