Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default Distortion on right channel

franco wrote:

I have a Korean made Sherwood receiver circa 1980 that distorts on the
right channel only:
with all inputs (eliminating the sources);
with any set of speakers (not the speakers);
at all volumes (eliminating things before the volume knob);
with the headphones (eliminating the power stage?).

No, the headphones will normally be run from the 'power stage'.

Does anyone have any advice troubleshooting this? I'm comfortable
replacing electronic components in circuit boards (when I say me I
mean my electronic savvy friend who is helping me out, He just
replaced leaky looking 1000u cap, but it didn't solve the problem) but
have no experience with stereo troubleshooting and would like to
attempt to fix this myself.

It's not difficult in principle. Do you have experience troubleshooting
other electronics aside from audio ?

Posted to sci.electronics repair in addition.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 14, 11:45*pm, Eeyore
wrote:
franco wrote:
I have a Korean made Sherwood receiver circa 1980 that distorts on the
right channel only:
with all inputs (eliminating the sources);
with any set of speakers (not the speakers);
at all volumes (eliminating things before the volume knob);
with the headphones (eliminating the power stage?).

No, the headphones will normally be run from the 'power stage'.

not the preamp stage?

Does anyone have any advice troubleshooting this? I'm comfortable
replacing electronic components in circuit boards (when I say me I
mean my electronic savvy friend who is helping me out, He just
replaced leaky looking 1000u cap, but it didn't solve the problem) but
have no experience with stereo troubleshooting and would like to
attempt to fix this myself.

It's not difficult in principle. Do you have experience troubleshooting
other electronics aside from audio ?

some guitar tube amplifier stuff (very simple compared to this); my
friend helping me has experience in TVs and microwave ovens.

Posted to sci.electronics repair in addition.

Thank you.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

franco wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
franco wrote:
I have a Korean made Sherwood receiver circa 1980 that distorts on the
right channel only:
with all inputs (eliminating the sources);
with any set of speakers (not the speakers);
at all volumes (eliminating things before the volume knob);
with the headphones (eliminating the power stage?).

No, the headphones will normally be run from the 'power stage'.

not the preamp stage?

Not usually.

Does anyone have any advice troubleshooting this? I'm comfortable
replacing electronic components in circuit boards (when I say me I
mean my electronic savvy friend who is helping me out, He just
replaced leaky looking 1000u cap, but it didn't solve the problem) but
have no experience with stereo troubleshooting and would like to
attempt to fix this myself.

It's not difficult in principle. Do you have experience troubleshooting
other electronics aside from audio ?

some guitar tube amplifier stuff (very simple compared to this); my
friend helping me has experience in TVs and microwave ovens.

Ok, well an perienced tech would know roughly where to probe without a
detailed schematic but it looks like you'll need one of those at minimum.
Model number ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

franco wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
franco wrote:
[...]

You have a perfectly functioning amp right there (the other channel);
why not just compare and contrast? It's even a good source for parts to
swap...

Isaac