DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mackie M1400 poweramp problem (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/252175-mackie-m1400-poweramp-problem.html)

powerampfreak June 3rd 08 10:24 PM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

Hi all. I had a shorted driver stage (MJE15032/33) in one of the
channels which resulted a lot of open resistors in the output stage,
Some components in the clip-detector circuit blew too. After replacing
all the broken stuff, the channel operates, but with high frequency
ringing superimposed on the fundamental sinewave. Does anyone have a
specific tip for this failure? Some of the compensation capacitors
gone bad? Thanks a lot for any advice!
Regards
Steve

N_Cook June 3rd 08 10:38 PM

powerampfreak wrote in message
Hi all. I had a shorted driver stage (MJE15032/33) in one of the
channels which resulted a lot of open resistors in the output stage,
Some components in the clip-detector circuit blew too. After replacing
all the broken stuff, the channel operates, but with high frequency
ringing superimposed on the fundamental sinewave. Does anyone have a
specific tip for this failure? Some of the compensation capacitors
gone bad? Thanks a lot for any advice!
Regards
Steve

Assuming a constant hf then a matter of divining, by literally floating your
hand/finger over, until zeroing in.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

gareth magennis June 3rd 08 11:25 PM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

"powerampfreak" wrote in message
Hi all. I had a shorted driver stage (MJE15032/33) in one of the
channels which resulted a lot of open resistors in the output stage,
Some components in the clip-detector circuit blew too. After replacing
all the broken stuff, the channel operates, but with high frequency
ringing superimposed on the fundamental sinewave. Does anyone have a
specific tip for this failure? Some of the compensation capacitors
gone bad? Thanks a lot for any advice!
Regards
Steve

Yes, you haven't found all the broken stuff yet. Don't start guessing,
trying to link symptoms with components, you'll be there all day and get
nowhere. Go back and check very carefully all the components from the
output transistors back as far as it is possible for the damage to have
gone.

One technique I use is to use the diode check function on my multimeter,
giving a reading of forward voltage drop. This gives an indication of
resistance and semiconductor junction integrity at the same time. As this
is a stereo amp you can directly compare the working channel with the faulty
one.

Check each transistor junction and all the components using BOTH test lead
polarities, starting from the power devices backwards. (You may be measuring
a base emitter junction with a 100K resistor between the two. In one
direction you will read 100k, the other you will read a 0.6V diode).

Investigate any discrepancies between channels, allowing for changing
readings due to charged/charging capacitors. Both sides should read and
behave the same. This may seem at first to be a very labour intensive
procedure, but with practice can be carried out surprisingly quickly, and
discrepancies easily located.

Gareth.

Eeyore June 4th 08 03:07 AM

powerampfreak wrote:

Hi all. I had a shorted driver stage (MJE15032/33) in one of the
channels which resulted a lot of open resistors in the output stage,
Some components in the clip-detector circuit blew too. After replacing
all the broken stuff, the channel operates, but with high frequency
ringing superimposed on the fundamental sinewave. Does anyone have a
specific tip for this failure? Some of the compensation capacitors
gone bad? Thanks a lot for any advice!

At all power levels ?

Graham

powerampfreak June 4th 08 05:27 AM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

On 4 Juni, 04:07, Eeyore
wrote:
powerampfreak wrote:
Hi all. I had a shorted driver stage (MJE15032/33) in one of the
channels which resulted a lot of open resistors in the output stage,
Some components in the clip-detector circuit blew too. After replacing
all the broken stuff, the channel operates, but with high frequency
ringing superimposed on the fundamental sinewave. Does anyone have a
specific tip for this failure? Some of the compensation capacitors
gone bad? Thanks a lot for any advice!

At all power levels ?

Graham

Actually, I run it without the dummy load for initial testings, in
order to operate the amp more safely.. until I get a decent output
signal.
Then I go for power tests.
I think I drove the amp up to somewhere 30-40V rms and the high
frequency oscillation is riding on top of my sinewave test signal.
The OK channel doesn't behave like this, if anyone may think it's just
because I've no dummyload connected.
Besides, there seems to be different version of the M1400, since my
schematic isn't exactly like the amp...
Maybe anyone has a few schematics for this unit in PDF?

Regards
Steve

William Sommerwerck June 4th 08 11:50 AM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

Have you compared the components, waveforms, etc in the good channel with
the "bad" one?

It might be less trouble to simply shotgun the components you haven't
already replaced.

There is also the remote possibility that the amp was behaving this way
before it failed.

Gareth Magennis June 4th 08 12:21 PM

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Have you compared the components, waveforms, etc in the good channel with
the "bad" one?

Note that if you do add a dummy load you well may find that you get very
different waveforms than your nice sine wave with a little hash on top -
this could be very misleading at this time. You could even destroy some
more transistors, so I wouldn't bother since you know the amp is still
faulty anyway.

It might be less trouble to simply shotgun the components you haven't
already replaced.

Yep.

There is also the remote possibility that the amp was behaving this way
before it failed.

Very true. Make sure you don't just repair the symptoms!

Gareth.

Eeyore June 4th 08 12:36 PM

powerampfreak wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
powerampfreak wrote:
Hi all. I had a shorted driver stage (MJE15032/33) in one of the
channels which resulted a lot of open resistors in the output stage,
Some components in the clip-detector circuit blew too. After replacing
all the broken stuff, the channel operates, but with high frequency
ringing superimposed on the fundamental sinewave. Does anyone have a
specific tip for this failure? Some of the compensation capacitors
gone bad? Thanks a lot for any advice!

At all power levels ?

Actually, I run it without the dummy load for initial testings, in
order to operate the amp more safely.. until I get a decent output
signal.
Then I go for power tests.
I think I drove the amp up to somewhere 30-40V rms and the high
frequency oscillation is riding on top of my sinewave test signal.

But at lower levels ?

The OK channel doesn't behave like this, if anyone may think it's just
because I've no dummyload connected.
Besides, there seems to be different version of the M1400, since my
schematic isn't exactly like the amp...
Maybe anyone has a few schematics for this unit in PDF?

Ooooh, I did at one time I think. I'll look.

But anyway, do you know what I mean by the 'output zobel network' ? An RC
series combination. The R should be of several watts rating. Do make sure that
the R isn't burnt out (open).

Graham

William Sommerwerck June 4th 08 12:52 PM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

"Eeyore"
wrote in message ...

Do you know what I mean by the "output Zobel network"?

A Zobel network is used for impedance compensation -- usually to make a
circuit look more resistive.

An amp with such a network at its output might very well be unusually
load-sensitive.

powerampfreak June 4th 08 12:57 PM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

On 4 Juni, 13:36, Eeyore
wrote:
powerampfreak wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
powerampfreak wrote:
[...]

Graham- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

The Zobel network is all fine.

Gareth Magennis June 4th 08 01:14 PM

wrote:
powerampfreak wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
powerampfreak wrote:
[...]

Can you clarify whether you have tested and got these waveforms with a dummy
load or not?

You said earlier: "The OK channel doesn't behave like this, if anyone may

Eeyore June 5th 08 02:11 AM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

Do you know what I mean by the "output Zobel network"?

A Zobel network is used for impedance compensation -- usually to make a
circuit look more resistive.

Which it needs to be to counter the effect of the output inductor or you'll
wreck the phase stability of the amplifier.

Graham

Eeyore June 5th 08 02:11 AM

William Sommerwerck wrote:

An amp with such a network at its output might very well be unusually
load-sensitive.

Every amp has one prior tot he output inductor.

Graham

Eeyore June 5th 08 02:12 AM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

Meat Plow wrote:

Besides, I can buy a 2000 watt amp brand new also made in China for around
$300 US.

I wouldn't expect it to work for very long.

Graham

Eeyore June 5th 08 02:18 AM

powerampfreak wrote:

Hi all. I had a shorted driver stage (MJE15032/33) in one of the
channels which resulted a lot of open resistors in the output stage,
Some components in the clip-detector circuit blew too. After replacing
all the broken stuff, the channel operates, but with high frequency
ringing superimposed on the fundamental sinewave. Does anyone have a
specific tip for this failure? Some of the compensation capacitors
gone bad? Thanks a lot for any advice!

http://fileshare.eshop.bg/downloadsm...20M-1400i.html

No schematics though

Here we go
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...kie_M1400.html

Graham

William Sommerwerck June 5th 08 03:24 AM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

Which it needs to be to counter the effect of the output inductor
or you'll wreck the phase stability of the amplifier.

It's the other way around, I believe. The inductor is there for a good
reason.

William Sommerwerck June 5th 08 03:24 AM

William Sommerwerck wrote:

An amp with such a network at its output might
very well be unusually load-sensitive.

Every amp has one prior tot he output inductor.

I will ask JC about this.

Eeyore June 5th 08 04:33 AM

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Which it needs to be to counter the effect of the output inductor
or you'll wreck the phase stability of the amplifier.

It's the other way around, I believe. The inductor is there for a good
reason.

They both are.

I design power amps btw.

Graham

Eeyore June 5th 08 04:34 AM

William Sommerwerck wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

An amp with such a network at its output might
very well be unusually load-sensitive.

Every amp has one prior tot he output inductor.

I will ask JC about this.

Who is JC and why would his opinion change the facts ?

Grahama

Eeyore June 5th 08 04:38 AM

Meat Plow wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:

Besides, I can buy a 2000 watt amp brand new also made in China for around
$300 US.

I wouldn't expect it to work for very long.

We've been using one for our 2x18 subs for several months with no problems.

One of my designs has been sitting in the local venue for over TEN YEARS. One
level pot went scratchy in that time and we also gave the heatsinks a
blow-through.

I pulled it apart to have a look and it's as well constructed as any other
amp besides the high dollar brands.

$300 doesn't buy you very much in the way of a power transformer or decent output
devices and heatsinking + fans.

I've heard of these amps in the UK. Not 'Warrior' brand is it ? They came with
ten year warranties but the company only lasted about 18 months. Killed by the
warranty claims.

Graham

Arfa Daily June 5th 08 05:14 PM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 04:52:31 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Eeyore"
wrote in message ...

Do you know what I mean by the "output Zobel network"?

A Zobel network is used for impedance compensation -- usually to make a
circuit look more resistive.

An amp with such a network at its output might very well be unusually
load-sensitive.

I doubt it if as advertised it can "handle 2 ohms all night long".

I wouldn't repair this amp for a "customer" and probably wouldn't waste my
time on it for myself having been burned by Mackie in the past. Besides, I
can buy a 2000 watt amp brand new also made in China for around $300 US.
Someone brought me a used Crown Micro-Tech 1200 they wanted to sell for
$400.00 US and even though I am a big fan of Crown especially that series
I offered half that and they refused. I told them I can get 2000 watts
into 4 ohms bridged for 300 bucks. I used a Micro-Tech 1000 for my bass
guitar rig along with a BBE 383 bass preamp for 10 years worth of regular
club and party gigs without ever a problem. Here's a picture of it along
with 6 and a half feet of other gear I have in a rack.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...c/CIMG0259.jpg

Isn't using a vacuum cleaner as the rack cooling blower, a bit noisy ... ?
:-)

Arfa

Tim Phipps[_2_] June 6th 08 04:08 PM

Eeyore wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

Besides, I can buy a 2000 watt amp brand new also made in China for around
$300 US.

I wouldn't expect it to work for very long.

Graham

Seems to me that you have a problem with anything made in China. We all
know that you get some crap made there but sometimes some good stuff
comes from there. Most of my amps are British made (Matrix) but I have
a couple of Chinese made amps, one Audiohead and the other T.amp brand
from thomann.de which look like the same amp to me, both have been in
service on the road for about 3 years now without trouble.

You might also remember some time ago when I posted for help with a dead
Studiomaster 700D. The fault turned out to be a bad power transformer
which was not economical to replace even by substitution with off the
shelf parts. That amp got replaced with another Chinese made T.amp from
Thomann which has also given me no problems.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email

William Sommerwerck June 7th 08 01:52 AM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

Seems to me that you have a problem with anything made in China.
We all know that you get some crap made there but sometimes
some good stuff comes from there.

There is a difference between items made in China and designed in China. I
have plenty of Chinese-manufactured items that are of high quality. I have
many fewer that were _designed_ there. One is an iRiver H120 jukebox, which
is of very high quality.

James Sweet[_2_] June 7th 08 07:59 AM

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Seems to me that you have a problem with anything made in China.
We all know that you get some crap made there but sometimes
some good stuff comes from there.

There is a difference between items made in China and designed in China. I
have plenty of Chinese-manufactured items that are of high quality. I have
many fewer that were _designed_ there. One is an iRiver H120 jukebox, which
is of very high quality.

Isn't iRiver Korean? We did some work with their products a while back,
had a couple of their engineers over here, I'm pretty sure they weren't
Chinese but I could be wrong.

Tim Phipps[_2_] June 7th 08 11:07 AM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

Meat Plow wrote:

Do you remember looking at the 4-63 volt, 3300uf caps in your 700D? I just
replaced the banana jack on mine and those 4 caps looked like the tops
were puffed. I pulled the top off one and there is a convexed steel cap
over the actual can under the heat shrink that makes these look domed. And
they appear also to run pretty warm discoloring the white glue used to
bond them to the pcb. The amp works fine otherwise and I've never had any
problems with it. It was formerly used to power A/V sub-woofers and had
been left on continuously for a couple years. Next trip to the electronics
shop will probably yield a new set just for my piece of mind.

I was beginning to think my posts were not making it out there until I
saw your reply (Arfa was right about the Virgin Media news server being
troublesome!)

I don't remember looking closely but I don't think they were
particularly domed. It was at least 2 years ago when it died. I do
remember that everything looked very clean in there. The amp had an
easy life in a church install but for some reason the power transformer
got shorted on the primary thus blowing the mains fuse every time.
Since it was a custom part I enquired with Toroid International about
purchasing a replacement but it would have cost about £150 as I guess
they were not making these in volume any more. When I saw that I could
just replace the whole amp for the same money it was a no-brainer.

William Sommerwerck June 7th 08 12:43 PM

"James Sweet" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

There is a difference between items made in China and designed in
China. I have plenty of Chinese-manufactured items that are of high
quality. I have many fewer that were _designed_ there. One is an
iRiver H120 jukebox, which is of very high quality.

Isn't iRiver Korean? We did some work with their products a while back,
had a couple of their engineers over here, I'm pretty sure they weren't
Chinese but I could be wrong.

Good point. I don't remember seeing any "country of design" on the
literature. I just "assumed" it was a wholly Chinese product.

If it's a Korean design, that would explain a lot of things.

I'm hoping Toshiba will come out with a direct-replacement 100GB (or larger)
vertical-recording hard drive. But I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, there's an "open" group called RockBox that makes improved
operating systems for many jukeboxes, including iRiver models.

powerampfreak June 7th 08 10:33 PM

On 7 Juni, 19:17, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 11:07:26 +0100, Tim Phipps wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

One reason I like the 700D is that the cooling system is efficient and the
fan had infinite control. It is as quiet as a mouse until you started to
drive it. It also draws fresh air directly through the front through a
foam cell filter and through a heat sink tunnel and doesn't expose the
entire amp to forced air dust and other contaminates. Mine suffered a fall
while in a rack which broke the A channel banana jack off or I wouldn't
have ever noticed those 4 caps. They're not big enough physically to be
for rail currents so they must serve some other purpose in the driver
stage?? Here is a recent pic of my 700D in the rack that fell over. Lucky
all the other equipment wasn't in the rack when it fell backwards.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...c/CIMG0259.jpg

Below the Crown amp is a rare Sound Code Systems 2350A MOS-FET amp someone
gave me after they couldn't find anyone to repair it back in 1998. It
needed a new set of outputs 2SK134/2SJ49 TO3 case that had been
discontinued and unavailable at the time. I did find a set on the internet
and repaired the amp successfully. It's been used on and off as a source
for 18" subs in a tri-amped band PA setup since then without any problems.
It too is a quiet amp having a similar cooling system to the 700D. It's
heat sink includes a bristled radiator which is unique.- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

The Mackie amp was repaired. A tiny tiny pcb trace/via hole for one of
the predrivers were open circuit.
This happened probably when the drivers shorted. Now everything's
OK!

Regards

Eeyore June 8th 08 05:40 AM

Tim Phipps wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:

Besides, I can buy a 2000 watt amp brand new also made in China for around
$300 US.

I wouldn't expect it to work for very long.

Seems to me that you have a problem with anything made in China.

Not at all but the quality varies dramatically. I'm expecting to be going to
Shanghai / Ningbo quite soon in fact.

You might also remember some time ago when I posted for help with a dead
Studiomaster 700D. The fault turned out to be a bad power transformer
which was not economical to replace even by substitution with off the
shelf parts.

Only because our Indian sub-contractor had bankrupted the company. Those
transformers were custom made by Toroid International which is a highly respected
brand. I'm sorry you had that problem but it wasn't a design oversight for sure.

Graham

Eeyore June 8th 08 05:43 AM

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Seems to me that you have a problem with anything made in China.
We all know that you get some crap made there but sometimes
some good stuff comes from there.

There is a difference between items made in China and designed in China. I
have plenty of Chinese-manufactured items that are of high quality. I have
many fewer that were _designed_ there. One is an iRiver H120 jukebox, which
is of very high quality.

The work I've seen come out of Kwan Asia is second to none. Orient Power /
Oritron is pretty good too.

As you imply, few Chinese know how to design well though, and if you get a good
relationship going they will freely admit this. I have met one good Chinese
designer though, a chap called 'Tim' Lau. He co-developed the QSC RMX series
with Pat Quilter AIUI.

Graham

Eeyore June 8th 08 05:45 AM

James Sweet wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Seems to me that you have a problem with anything made in China.
We all know that you get some crap made there but sometimes
some good stuff comes from there.

There is a difference between items made in China and designed in China. I
have plenty of Chinese-manufactured items that are of high quality. I have
many fewer that were _designed_ there. One is an iRiver H120 jukebox, which
is of very high quality.

Isn't iRiver Korean? We did some work with their products a while back,
had a couple of their engineers over here, I'm pretty sure they weren't
Chinese but I could be wrong.

A lot of Korean compnaies are moving their manufacturing to China. I could talk
volumes about that and the troubles it caused.

Graham

Eeyore June 8th 08 05:50 AM

Meat Plow wrote:

Tim Phipps wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

Aluminium actually.

over the actual can under the heat shrink that makes these look domed. And
they appear also to run pretty warm discoloring the white glue used to
bond them to the pcb. The amp works fine otherwise and I've never had any
problems with it. It was formerly used to power A/V sub-woofers and had
been left on continuously for a couple years. Next trip to the electronics
shop will probably yield a new set just for my piece of mind.

Given its age, I would recommend replacing them. NO amplifier PSU electrolytics
last for ever. Do buy a decent brand. We used Sanwha which are great for the
price but not widely available. A Panasonic is probably your best bet. Sub-woofers
will give them more of a hammering than full-range too.

Graham

Eeyore June 8th 08 06:00 AM

Meat Plow wrote:

One reason I like the 700D is that the cooling system is efficient and the
fan had infinite control. It is as quiet as a mouse until you started to
drive it. It also draws fresh air directly through the front through a
foam cell filter and through a heat sink tunnel and doesn't expose the
entire amp to forced air dust and other contaminates.

I'm glad you appreciate the design considerations I put into it.

Mine suffered a fall while in a rack which broke the A channel banana jack off
or I wouldn't
have ever noticed those 4 caps. They're not big enough physically to be
for rail currents

Oh yes they are ! Quite comfortably so in fact. Do you know how to do ripple
current calculations ? These HE series show a ripple current rating of 2.5A each
but that's @ 105C and they don't get that hot.
http://www.rapidonline.com/productin...catRef=11-3149

so they must serve some other purpose in the driver stage??

No, those are the smaller ones nearby.

Graham

Arfa Daily June 8th 08 10:54 AM

"Tim Phipps" wrote in message
Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

Seems a bit better now Tim, although there still seems to be periods of time
when it is not accessible. It wasn't yesterday afternoon for a couple of
hours. I was beginning to think that something had screwed up on my machine,
but 'net access was ok, and the mail server was properly accessible. News
server access just suddenly returned ( I had a news post pending in the
outbox, and my machine will try to send it every 5 mins until it gets
success). I can't remember ever having had similar issues with the original
NTL server, which I had been on for many years since NTL were first cabling
up the country. The problems only seem to have been occuring since they
"migrated" I think was the word, to the 'new and better' Virgin Media binary
news server. Is this the same sort of issues that you have been experiencing
?

Arfa

Arfa Daily June 8th 08 10:59 AM

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Tim Phipps wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

Ah ... Studiomaster. I will remember that Graham, when I next get one in
that's giving me some grief ...

d;~}

Arfa

Tim Phipps[_2_] June 8th 08 02:21 PM

Eeyore wrote:

Only because our Indian sub-contractor had bankrupted the company. Those
transformers were custom made by Toroid International which is a highly respected
brand. I'm sorry you had that problem but it wasn't a design oversight for sure.

Graham

I appreciate it wasn't a design issue just an unfortunate fault. I was
impressed to get a direct reply from Toroid Int. who did offer to supply
the part but the cost was prohibitive as it would have been a one off job.

I don't know who is making these T.amps for Thomann but they seem to be
pretty decent. I haven't opened mine to look but I've heard some say
that they are copies of an old Crest design.

Eeyore June 8th 08 04:21 PM

Mackie M1400 poweramp problem

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Tim Phipps wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

Stop for a second to think how many tens of thousands were made and how few you
see.

I just bought a 700D on ebay btw for a club install that's going 3 way active
(for the HF drivers). You can see I do have confidence in my own products.

And you can always email me for repair tips.

Graham

Eeyore June 8th 08 04:25 PM

Tim Phipps wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Only because our Indian sub-contractor had bankrupted the company. Those
transformers were custom made by Toroid International which is a highly respected
brand. I'm sorry you had that problem but it wasn't a design oversight for sure.

I appreciate it wasn't a design issue just an unfortunate fault. I was
impressed to get a direct reply from Toroid Int. who did offer to supply
the part but the cost was prohibitive as it would have been a one off job.

It's a real shame about that. There was a repair oufit in Liverpool that had a small
supply of the TXs but they're long gone now.

I don't know who is making these T.amps for Thomann but they seem to be
pretty decent.

I've seen those. Maybe I'll get to find out who it is.

I haven't opened mine to look but I've heard some say
that they are copies of an old Crest design.

I doubt that on account of the fact that Crests are massively overengineered as a rule
(nhence expensive to build). Far more likely another QSC ripoff. If the output
transistors' collectors are grounded it's almost a dead cert.

Graham

Tim Phipps[_2_] June 8th 08 05:06 PM

Eeyore wrote:

I don't know who is making these T.amps for Thomann but they seem to be
pretty decent.

I've seen those. Maybe I'll get to find out who it is.

I haven't opened mine to look but I've heard some say
that they are copies of an old Crest design.

I doubt that on account of the fact that Crests are massively overengineered as a rule
(nhence expensive to build). Far more likely another QSC ripoff. If the output
transistors' collectors are grounded it's almost a dead cert.

Graham

FYI it's these ones I'm talking about. I've also seen them branded as
Audiohead and C-mark.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t-amp_ta2400.htm

Eeyore June 8th 08 08:33 PM

Tim Phipps wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

I don't know who is making these T.amps for Thomann but they seem to be
pretty decent.

I've seen those. Maybe I'll get to find out who it is.

I haven't opened mine to look but I've heard some say
that they are copies of an old Crest design.

I doubt that on account of the fact that Crests are massively overengineered as a rule
(nhence expensive to build). Far more likely another QSC ripoff. If the output
transistors' collectors are grounded it's almost a dead cert.

FYI it's these ones I'm talking about. I've also seen them branded as
Audiohead and C-mark.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t-amp_ta2400.htm

I know very well the ones you mean but from an external visual I can tell nothing.

Graham