Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help with Sony TA-AX295 distortion

I have aquired a Sony TA-AX295 integrated amplifier (circa 1990 I
think) as part of a system.
The amplifier distorts badly even at fairly low volumes on all input
channels.
The VU meters show that the signal is being overdriven at normal input
levels.
Even at very low input levels the audio is clipping although the VU is
normal.
I assume that this is happening in the pre-amp somewhere.
Does anyone have any experience with these amps that will point me in
the right direction.
I have been unsuccessful in finding a service manual or schematic.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron although my expertise is in
digital electronics and not audio.
I am thinking of replacing all of the electrolytics, but I may be way
off.
Any help with advice or schematics etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Kasper de Bruin
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Does this happen on all inputs? This certainly sounds like you're hooking up
a high level input to the phono input. Is the tape/rec out signal normal?

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 8, 11:31*am, "David Farber" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

L.A., CA- Hide quoted text -

Yes it does happen on all inputs with their normal components
connected ie. tuner on the tuner input, cd on the cd input tape on the
tape input and phono on the phono input. With an external (not part
of the component system) cd player the same thing happens on tape,
tuner, cd and video (vcr) inputs.

Regards
Kasper
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

From your description, the fault can possibly be many things.

The best approach would be to get the service manual. This can be ordered
from a Sony parts distributor.

You will need a scope, DVM, and an audio generator to properly service this
amp's audio path. Verify that the power supply is working properly, and
that there are proper voltages from it.

If the power supply is working properly, connect the audio generator as
recommended from the service manual, and take the measurements with the
scope along the audio path, as shown in the schematics. Check for levels
that are out of proper spec as indicated in the service manual. At least
with this procedure you will be able to find the stage where the fault is
occurring. Then you will be able to troubleshoot that area for the defective
components.

--

JANA
_____