Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Tim is offline

Default ACER 1916B LCD Monitor won't start when cold

It seems this 19" LCD won't start up when it is cold. If you leave it
for a bit then it will eventually start up. The customer reported that
it had a swimming effect, but I did not see that happening. I did notice
that the backlight seemed to dim and brighten on it's own once in a
while.

I'm assuming that the CCFL tubes or the inverter are the cause of the
dimming, but the startup problem is weird. The screen blinks the LED and
you hear a high voltage like squeak and the lcd flashes bands
momentarily, but no pic or menu is displayed. After it gets warmed up,
it will run for days without incident.

I really hate to throw this one out without trying to solve it's
problems. It's a 2005 model.

Any ideas out there?

- Tim -
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
It seems this 19" LCD won't start up when it is cold. If you leave it
for a bit then it will eventually start up. The customer reported that
it had a swimming effect, but I did not see that happening. I did notice
that the backlight seemed to dim and brighten on it's own once in a
while.

I'm assuming that the CCFL tubes or the inverter are the cause of the
dimming, but the startup problem is weird. The screen blinks the LED and
you hear a high voltage like squeak and the lcd flashes bands
momentarily, but no pic or menu is displayed. After it gets warmed up,
it will run for days without incident.

I really hate to throw this one out without trying to solve it's
problems. It's a 2005 model.

Any ideas out there?

- Tim -

First thing I'd check is electrolytic capacitors in the power supply and
throughout the rest of the monitor. Cold faults are the classic symptom of
bad capacitors, I wouldn't be surprised if you find some of them bulging or
leaking onto the PCBs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Tim is offline

In article cScIj.1006$at6.868@trndny01, says...

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Well I got the monitor opened up, and I found 5 jiffy popped
electrolytics, all on the PS board, and all the same value (470uf @ 25V,
made by CapXon). All the other caps look excellent. I'll replace those
puppies, and let you know the outcome. I think I'll try to put in some
with a bit higher voltage, if I can find some that will fit into the
enclosure.

Thanks for the heads up,

- Tim -
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Same voltage should be fine, those caps likely came from the infamous
electrolyte scandal of a few years back. Make sure you scrub off the goo.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

he probably should use low ESR,105 degF switcher-grade caps,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

he probably should use low ESR,105 degF switcher-grade caps,too.

Won't hurt, though I think people obsess over the 105 degree (it's C, not F)
thing, if anything in a monitor is approaching 100C, something is wrong.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Tim is offline

In article UhhIj.1995$ie3.1131@trndny02,
says...

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

OK I replaced the bad caps. There wasn't any goo on the PCB at all. The
final count was 3 x 470uf 25v and 2 100uf 10v. The ones I had were a
higher voltage, but they fit ok. The monitor came right up and seems to
be fully functional. I am using it as my shop monitor right now.

Thanks for your help, James.

- Tim -
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

he probably should use low ESR,105 degF switcher-grade caps,too.

Won't hurt, though I think people obsess over the 105 degree (it's C, not F)
thing, if anything in a monitor is approaching 100C, something is wrong.

Obsess? No. Read the capacitor manufacturer's specifications: 1000
hours life at the rated temperature. If you chose a lower temperature
part it will work, but have a lot shorter operating life. How many
times do you want to repair something for the same problem? Would you
like to recap or replace a computer motherboard every couple months, to
a year? Also, as the ESR starts to rise, the electrolytics generate more
internal heat. Operating temperature is a complex issue. Ambient
temperature, airflow, dust buildup, component spacing all affect the
capacitors. Use low temp parts if you're cheap, but use better parts if
you want them to last.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Acer monitor. Dani Electronics Repair 0 April 18th 06 03:03 PM
Acer monitor. Dani Electronics Repair 0 April 18th 06 03:03 PM
Acer monitor. Dani Electronics Repair 0 April 18th 06 03:03 PM
Acer monitor. Dani Electronics Repair 0 April 18th 06 03:03 PM