Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SAE Two amplifier model A-14...no audio output. Help?

My electronics tech is having trouble fixing an SAE Two amplifier
model A-14. It has no audio output. If he shorts across a relay the
audio works fine. He has a good service manual but can't track down
what the problem is. Does anyone know what the problem may be
specifically? It was repaired for the same problem by another tech and
the repair didn't last long. I do know that 4 ohm speakers are a no-
no. He's testing with headphones. Sure would appreciate some help
here. Please eMail me at .
Harvey
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3ÔÂ27ÈÕ, ÉÏÎç4ʱ01·Ö, rockinnomo wrote:
My electronics tech is having trouble fixing an SAE Two amplifier
model A-14. It has no audio output. If he shorts across a relay the
audio works fine. He has a good service manual but can't track down
what the problem is. Does anyone know what the problem may be
specifically? It was repaired for the same problem by another tech and
the repair didn't last long. I do know that 4 ohm speakers are a no-
no. He's testing with headphones. Sure would appreciate some help
here. Please eMail me at .
Harvey

Do you want access to China's massive pool of electronic
manufacturers... but lack the time to contact suppliers, negotiate
contracts, arrange shipping or monitor product quality? Don't worry -
Let seriouswholesale deal with all that for you.

*Check out the huge range of Gadgets, MP3 / MP4 Players, Car DVD /
Audio, and Computer Accessories now by visiting the online wholesale
catalog at seriouswholesale. com You'll have peace of mind thanks to
the seriouswholesale Quality Control, 12-month Warranty on all
products, and easy secure payment by credit card through Paypal.

Selling on eBay or your own online store? Send products direct from
our warehouse to your customers using our unique drop-shipping
service. You can profit by selling hundreds of different products,
without holding any of your own inventory! Any questions you have will
be answered by the seriouswholesale English-speaking customer support
team... Their aim is to make your China electronics importing business
easier to run than ever before.

Welcome to http://www.seriouswholesale.com.

seriouswholesale - Buy from the source, profit without the hassle.

- 12 Months Warranty - No minimum order restrictions - Drop-shipping
with no additional fee - Pay by safely by PayPal seriouswholesale
Wholesale Co., Ltd.: Chinas original and best online electronics
wholesaler & drop-shipper: seriouswholesale. com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"greenpjs" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:01:29 -0700 (PDT), rockinnomo
wrote:

My electronics tech is having trouble fixing an SAE Two amplifier
model A-14. It has no audio output. If he shorts across a relay the
audio works fine. He has a good service manual but can't track down
what the problem is. Does anyone know what the problem may be
specifically? It was repaired for the same problem by another tech and
the repair didn't last long. I do know that 4 ohm speakers are a no-
no. He's testing with headphones. Sure would appreciate some help
here. Please eMail me at .
Harvey

I had one of those years ago that did the exact same thing. The first
time, it was the relay itself. The contacts were corroded. I
replaced the relay which fixed the problem for a few months. Then
whatever drives the relay went out. I ended up just bypassing the
relay with intentional solder bridges and using it like that for
another few years. The only thing the relay does is avoid a minor
"thump" on power-up so it isn't really needed if the amp is operating
normally otherwise. ...Pat

I'm sorry, but that is absolutely *not* the most important reason for the
relay. Whilst there is a delay in activating it to avoid the switch on thump
that would otherwise ensue as a result of the output stage supply rails
stabilzing, its much more important function is to disconnect the speakers
from the output stages in the event of a fault developing which causes there
to be a DC offset at the midpoint. If this is allowed to find its way to the
output terminals, the result will likely be a destroyed speaker cabinet.

So, whilst bridging the (non active) relay will cure a lack of output,
assuming that it is not failing to close because its control circuit *is*
actually detecting a fault, you will have lost any future insurance against
speaker damage, if an output fault should occur ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

rockinnomo wrote:
My electronics tech is having trouble fixing an SAE Two amplifier
model A-14. It has no audio output. If he shorts across a relay the
audio works fine. He has a good service manual but can't track down
what the problem is. Does anyone know what the problem may be
specifically? It was repaired for the same problem by another tech and
the repair didn't last long. I do know that 4 ohm speakers are a no-
no. He's testing with headphones. Sure would appreciate some help
here. Please eMail me at .
Harvey

Hello Harvey,

While I don't know this amp in specific, see if it uses the TA7317
protection IC. It's a great IC and was used by many manufacturers.
I've seen the electrolytic capacitors around the IC cause problems, as
well has high value (150K or 220K as I recall) resistors go off value.
The IC itself rarely fails.

I would not suggest bypassing the relay.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics