Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Solar Garden Lighs/sidewalk lights

A neighbor across the street has five of them along each side of his
sidewalk.In the day time, the solar cells on top of the lights charge up
a little battery, (even on cloudy days too) and at dusk, the lights
light up and shine all night long.My neighbor said the lights wont put
out any light if he brings them (or one of them) inside his house.The
lights charge up in the day time, why wont they work inside his house?
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 07:03:13 GMT, Ross Herbert
put finger to keyboard and composed:

If you mean that the lamps are already charged by being in the sun and they
won't light when he brings them inside the house during the day then this is
also easy to explain. The lamps have an LDR which only allows the light to come
on after dusk or when the LDR is covered.

I would think that an LDR would be an unnecessary expense. Surely all
you would need to do would be to detect whether there was any output
from the solar cell.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

:
:If you mean that the lamps are already charged by being in the sun and they
:won't light when he brings them inside the house during the day then this is
:also easy to explain. The lamps have an LDR which only allows the light to
come
:on after dusk or when the LDR is covered.
:
:I would think that an LDR would be an unnecessary expense. Surely all
:you would need to do would be to detect whether there was any output
:from the solar cell.
:
:- Franc Zabkar

The idea is for the solar cell to charge the battery during the daytime and for
the LED to come on only when needed ie, after dark. The LDR senses dusk and
performs the function. If the LED was allowed to stay on during the daytime
while the battery was also being charged, the battery would never fully charge.
The solar cell isn't very efficient.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Next time I go to the Wal Mart store, I am going to look around in the
yard and garden department.I will buy one or two of those lights and let
them charge up in the daytime outside.Then I will bring them into a dark
room in my house and see if they will put out any light.They might be
good for power outages.

On the web, Diesel Fuel Trees in Brazil

That will boggle your mind.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 05:27:08 GMT, Ross Herbert

wrote:

:On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 07:03:13 GMT, Ross Herbert
put finger to keyboard and composed:
:
:If you mean that the lamps are already charged by being in the sun and they
:won't light when he brings them inside the house during the day then this is
:also easy to explain. The lamps have an LDR which only allows the light to
come
:on after dusk or when the LDR is covered.
:
:I would think that an LDR would be an unnecessary expense. Surely all
:you would need to do would be to detect whether there was any output
:from the solar cell.
:
:- Franc Zabkar

The idea is for the solar cell to charge the battery during the daytime and for
the LED to come on only when needed ie, after dark.

Understood.

The LDR senses dusk and
performs the function.

The solar cell is a *light dependent* sensor. It can perform the same
function. Think about it ;-)

If the LED was allowed to stay on during the daytime
while the battery was also being charged, the battery would never fully charge.
The solar cell isn't very efficient.

Understood.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article 39,
bz wrote:

It IS usually bright enough inside the house to keep the solar night lights
FROM TURNING ON.
Did he turn off the room lights?

as for charging the lights, now that is another question.

The trouble I had was pounding the stakes into the concrete slab. The
sledge hammer kept smashing the solar cells on top.

solar garden lights leedsbob UK diy 26 February 2nd 08 12:27 AM
solar lights Dwayne & Angela UK diy 13 April 12th 07 07:26 AM
photocell for those solar garden lights Bob UK diy 7 March 4th 05 01:18 PM
Solar powered garden light thingies? Sheila UK diy 12 January 4th 05 07:36 PM