Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hey,,,,,,

a very nice black guy in my neighborhood has a 1990 Chevrolet RV van for
sale.He said the engine spits and misses and quits running.I am sort of
half ass interested in buying that van.($1,100) Whats wrong with the
engine? 350 engine, about 90,000 miles on it.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 13, 12:32 pm, wrote:
a very nice black guy in my neighborhood has a 1990 Chevrolet RV van for
sale.He said the engine spits and misses and quits running.I am sort of
half ass interested in buying that van.($1,100) Whats wrong with the
engine? 350 engine, about 90,000 miles on it.
cuhulin

Nothing, it just probably hasn't had a good tune up in quite awhile.
Get a compression tester, pull the center wire from the distributor,
then go cylinder by cylinder and check the compression should be about
150-170lbs each cylinder, all readings should be close to each other
or there is a valve or ring issue. I'd also very carefully check
the firing order could be somebody wasn't watching what they were
doing and crossed some wires. Make sure the distributor is bolted in
tightly and the cap and rotor are secure. The firing order is listed
on top of the manifold. If I remember jug #1 is closest to the
alternator and the rotor turns clockwise when looking down at the top
of the distributor. The position of the vacuum advance unit should
verify this. Clean the crud off the plate near the hood latch. It
tells of a brown wire to disconnect at the back of the engine
compartment which gets disconnected when tweaking the timing,
otherwise you are fighting the computer..... you lose! Replace the
gas filter. Check the heavy wire going from the battery to the starter
and be sure the insulation is not burned off it and the bare wire is
not shorting out to the block or exhaust manifold. Wrap it with tape
and put it back into it's holder if it is. Haynes makes some good
books to help diagnose these things too. The 350 is a good motor and
pretty easy to deal with if you get problems.
regards,
al