Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP 1980B scope replacement needed , for automated system .

Hello guys , i need an advice for replacing the old 1980B with some
other newer model that can be swapped without problem in terms of the
software that controlling the entire automated system (via GPIB/HP-
IB).

the software is locked (no source) for any programing changes so i
need some model that will work on the same language as the 1980B , so
the automated system will work without any modification .

is it even possible ? what do you think ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

Hello guys , i need an advice for replacing the old 1980B with some
other newer model that can be swapped without problem in terms of the
software that controlling the entire automated system (via GPIB/HP-
IB).

the software is locked (no source) for any programing changes so i
need some model that will work on the same language as the 1980B , so
the automated system will work without any modification .

is it even possible ? what do you think ?

I would look for another HP 1980B scope from a T&M equipment dealer,
or eBay. ATE systems can be a real pain in the ass even though similar
equipment uses the same interface, the implimentatation can vary to the
point you have to rewrite the code. We had to do that once, and it took
the programmer almost two years to reverse engineer the software to work
with newer hardware.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=HP+1980B&c ategory0=
shows 12, ranging from $4.99 to $699.00 right now.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 9, 9:54 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

i just wanted to replace those old models with some thing more
reliable than 1980B.

so whats make the 1980B language so unique ? there must be some
models that will work with the same commands ..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

i just wanted to replace those old models with some thing more
reliable than 1980B.

so whats make the 1980B language so unique ? there must be some
models that will work with the same commands ..

Then you should start ordering or downloading manuals of every scope
with the same interface, and compare the commands and responses. Or you
can just keep some working spares on hand, till the project or
production line is shut down.

Anyway, what makes you think that a newer scope is more reliable, let
alone as good as an older HP scope?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell