Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NAD T762 fault

Hi
I have recently tried to repair a T762, not very succesfull I'm afraid.
The story is this: I was listening to music one day and suddenly the amp
shuts down with at loud POP in the speakers and red light in the status led.
I turn it off and then on again and now there is nothing coming out of the
speakers, other than hum when I turn the volume up to max. After some
checking I find that it can still switch between video feeds and the main
amps still work if I use direct input.
After some seaching in the schematics I'm guessing that it has to do with a
missing voltage, and sure enough the +12V is missing. After half an hour of
disassembling I have the motherboard out, and I measure the 5V1 zeners and
one is dead. I exchange all 5V1 zeners with 5W types an reassemble the amp,
but now it will not turn on.
The status light is amber, but no turn on. I measure the power on +13V and
find it about 6,5V at D712. it seems that some thing on the +5,6V is drawing
to much current for the poweron trafo.

Does anybody have any sugestions?

Torben

email exchange TWO with 2

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Torben Espoe wrote:

[...]

check some electrolytic caps for shorts.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 00:26:44 +0100, "Torben Espoe"
wrote:

[...]

A Google search seems to indicate the NAD T762 might possibly be one
of those "lemons" of domestic electronics we sometimes come across.

While this doesn't help much, a similar problem was covered on
sci.electronics.repair earlier this year, but without any positive
outcome.
http://groups.google.com.au/group/sc...de19570db5c6d7
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the fast replys

I have read about the "hot zeners", and it seems that my T762 have the same
problem. But im a bit clueless as to why the amp fails to start up now that
I have replaced the faulty components.

Torben

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Torben Espoe wrote:
[...]

Torben,

I'd start by checking that all of the plug in cables are seated. The
one that (as I recall) runs from the keyboard (front panel) down to the
mother board (4 pin black wire) is easy to forget. Be aware that I may
be thinking of the T753, which I see more of. Also, be sure that the
trigger switch on the rear (if so equipped) is in the correct position.
It's easy to move by accident when putting the amp back together.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:18:47 +0100, "Torben Espoe"
wrote:

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
.. .
A Google search seems to indicate the NAD T762 might possibly be

one
of those "lemons" of domestic electronics we sometimes come across.

While this doesn't help much, a similar problem was covered on
sci.electronics.repair earlier this year, but without any positive
outcome.

http://groups.google.com.au/group/sc...de19570db5c6d7

Thanks for the fast replys

I have read about the "hot zeners", and it seems that my T762 have

the same
problem. But im a bit clueless as to why the amp fails to start up

now that
I have replaced the faulty components.

Torben

I am not able to provide any help since I don't have the schematic,
and even then this probably wouldn't help to isolate the cause. The
only thing which I can suggest is that there is possibly some other
faulty component (such as a shorted rectifier in the power supply
bridge rectifier) or other device. Since the number of reported
complaints of similar faults the T762 is high it appears to be a
receiver to steer clear of. If NAD can't help then I doubt anyone else
can.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 29 2007, 9:26*am, "Torben Espoe"
wrote:
[...]

Hi I am an authorized Nad Tech, i may be able to assist. if you have
replaced the 5.1v zeners D716,D718 you must change the electro C724.
also these amps have many dryjoints on the frontpanel PCB and also on
the main board, check to see if the DSP board is not shorting to
chassis it has two screws at the top , the bottom of the board is
fixed via two bent chassis clips if the rubber spacer has fallen off
that holds the board above the chassis the board will short to ground,
check the DSP for all voltages you can reference these by reading the
printed overlay on the board were the cables enter, also there has
been good upgrades to the firmware to fix many of the problems with
this amp you may find it a good idea to upgrade the firmware. if you
need any schematics i can help just drop me an e-mail.
Regards Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi Greg,

Have you ever heard of an NAD model 8100 active speaker system? It's a
biamped, ported box with 8" woofer/.75" tweet. The active electronics
consist of a pair of TAD 2030a chip amps bridged for the lows and a
single 2030a for highs.

I got these, sans drivers, and retreaded with NOS Polk units I had.
They sound pretty good, but they require tons of level (couple of volts)
to get them to turn on. The turn-on relay is pretty obvious on the
board, so I could just jump that and add a power switch, but I wonder if
I could find a schematic and increase the sensitivity.

Also there's a 'black box' on the board, the function of which I can't
determine. It's an encapsulated module with no markings, about 1.5" x
2.5 x .5" high.

Google is absolutely no help....

jak

Very hot hot zenerdiode in NAD T762 Peter Andersen Electronics Repair 25 September 1st 07 02:04 PM
Ass Fault.. [email protected] Home Repair 4 June 20th 07 01:17 AM
immersion heater fault or economy heater fault bigbadbade UK diy 2 January 25th 07 07:50 PM
Odd d-i-y PC fault T i m UK diy 11 August 31st 05 11:06 PM
TV fault john UK diy 3 August 23rd 05 11:31 PM