Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer RF Getting Into Microphone

Since purchasing a tabletop usb condenser mic, listeners on a chat site tell
me they are hearing severe intermittent "squealing & distortion". I am using
headphones, no speakers connected to the computer so i can rule out audio
feedback as the problem. I'm of the opinion that rf from the computer may be
getting into my mic. The mic's usb plug does 'not' have a ferrite rf choke.
Besides placing a choke on the above usb plug, i will also place a choke at
the base of the mic. I will try to acquire ferrite chokes from a discarded
vga monitor or purchase "snap-on" chokes from radio shack. Any suggestions,
advice etc. would be appreciated. Thank You.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Spin" wrote in message
Since purchasing a tabletop usb condenser mic, listeners on a chat site
tell me they are hearing severe intermittent "squealing & distortion". I
am using headphones, no speakers connected to the computer so i can rule
out audio feedback as the problem. I'm of the opinion that rf from the
computer may be getting into my mic. The mic's usb plug does 'not' have a
ferrite rf choke. Besides placing a choke on the above usb plug, i will
also place a choke at the base of the mic. I will try to acquire ferrite
chokes from a discarded vga monitor or purchase "snap-on" chokes from
radio shack. Any suggestions, advice etc. would be appreciated. Thank You.

Well if this is a USB microphone, a ferrite choke should make no difference.
The sound will be digital data rather than analog audio on the USB cable. I
have had a problem with small condenser squealing mic's when I cover the
hole with my finger. I have no explanation for this phenomenon, but may be
what you are experiencing. Have you tried a standard analog mic instead?
There may be some issues with your USB mic.

Mike