DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   LCD TV Repair (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/219987-lcd-tv-repair.html)

[email protected] November 4th 07 11:52 PM

LCD TV Repair

Hi All,

I see a fair amount of LCD TVs on eBay, on a regular basis, that are
sold AS-IS because the units will not power up. There doesn't seem to
be one manufacturer or model that has this problem more than others.

Some of these are going pretty cheap - would anyone with experience
please give me some idea as to what the problem is likely to be, and
how hard or expensive it might be to repair?

Kind of a loaded question, I know . . . just trying to figure out if
it's worth the investment in a broken unit.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Urz November 5th 07 01:56 AM

LCD TV Repair

wrote:
Hi All,

I see a fair amount of LCD TVs on eBay, on a regular basis, that are
sold AS-IS because the units will not power up. There doesn't seem to
be one manufacturer or model that has this problem more than others.

Some of these are going pretty cheap - would anyone with experience
please give me some idea as to what the problem is likely to be, and
how hard or expensive it might be to repair?

Kind of a loaded question, I know . . . just trying to figure out if
it's worth the investment in a broken unit.

Thanks in advance.

Anything as is is a crap shoot. A screen can be bad even though it does
not look that way not powered up. A logic board can cost as much as the
unit did new (if you can even get one). If you lucky and just the
backlight inverter is bad and you have the chops to fix it, you might
come out ahead.

So much of this junk is non fixable. I had some car in dash LCD screen
units that were trashed because the gearing that pull the screens out
was striped. No name unit. No way to get parts.

Unless your a smart tech, the as is units have as much luck as you
buying a power ball ticket and hitting.

Bob

Jumpster Jiver November 5th 07 01:57 AM

LCD TV Repair

wrote:
Hi All,

I see a fair amount of LCD TVs on eBay, on a regular basis, that are
sold AS-IS because the units will not power up. There doesn't seem to
be one manufacturer or model that has this problem more than others.

Some of these are going pretty cheap - would anyone with experience
please give me some idea as to what the problem is likely to be, and
how hard or expensive it might be to repair?

Kind of a loaded question, I know . . . just trying to figure out if
it's worth the investment in a broken unit.

Thanks in advance.

Many of these will probably have a broken panel, or it will break in
shipping if it is not properly packaged and carefully handled.

If you can find one locally and examine it first, you may find that it
will power up but the picture is invisible due to the backlight not
lighting.
This is likely to be caused by a bad backlight(s), bad inverter, or both.
If it is really dead and the panel is not physically damaged you should
be able to repair it if you are familiar with switching power supplies.

Keep in mind that most picture quality problems cannot be repaired
because the panel, its connectors and cables, and the board are likely
to be permanently bonded to one another, ICs are either unavailable, or
ridiculously expensive, and service manuals with schematics are not
available.

JANA November 5th 07 03:22 AM

LCD TV Repair

These sets sold on eBay are mostly not worth to service, and that is why
they are so cheap. If the faults were as simple as the back lights, or back
light supply, then these people would be fixing them, and then asking much
higher prices.

The modules and parts if available to service these sets are very expensive.
Mostly all the circuit boards are using SMD technology, and are very
complex. Service manuals are not always available, and mostly are only basic
for module replacement and adjustment where required. On board component
service for most of these sets is not supported. For the most part, these
LCD and Plasma sets are not feasible to service unless the fault is simple
and low in cost to deal with.

--

JANA
_____

oups.com...

Charles November 6th 07 12:30 AM

LCD TV Repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Some, like RCAs, are VERY difficult to get parts for.

Be very careful!

justmanuals November 6th 07 03:13 AM

LCD TV Repair

wrote in message

oups.com...
Hi All,

I see a fair amount of LCD TVs on eBay, on a regular basis, that are
sold AS-IS because the units will not power up. There doesn't seem to
be one manufacturer or model that has this problem more than others.

Some of these are going pretty cheap - would anyone with experience
please give me some idea as to what the problem is likely to be, and
how hard or expensive it might be torepair?

Kind of a loaded question, I know . . . just trying to figure out if
it's worth the investment in a broken unit.

Thanks in advance.

Service & Parts Manuals just $9.99 and instant download at
http://www.justmanuals.com

James Sweet November 6th 07 03:33 AM

LCD TV Repair

"Charles" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Some, like RCAs, are VERY difficult to get parts for.

Be very careful!

Does it even matter with flat panels? Unless the problem is simple, the set
is usually scrap anyway.

Charles November 7th 07 10:21 PM

LCD TV Repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Some, like RCAs, are VERY difficult to get parts for.

Be very careful!

Does it even matter with flat panels? Unless the problem is simple, the
set is usually scrap anyway.

The tuner/processor board, the power supply and the control board are
available for many sets.

A friend has had all three replaced under the extended warranty from Best
Buy. Is it fixed? Time will tell ... so far, so good. I think it was a
Sharp LCD TV that cost about $1500.