Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic DMRE85 "Self Checking"

I have a problem with my Panasonic DMRE85 when it comes out of standby
mode. It seems that whenever the hard drive has to fire up from
standby (when the machine's on but the HDD has gone into "sleep"
mode), or when I switch from DVD to HDD, then it thinks for a second
and then shuts down. It takes 2 restarts with the "Self checking"
message to get it up and running again. Once it's running it records
with no problems. Also, if the blue HDD symbol is lit (presumably the
HD is running) then it operates correctly. It's only when it's
starting up the HD that the issue occurs..

I've re-formatted the HDD and it still happening. Anyone have any
ideas??

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 05:45:55 -0700, wrote:

I have a problem with my Panasonic DMRE85 when it comes out of standby
mode. It seems that whenever the hard drive has to fire up from
standby (when the machine's on but the HDD has gone into "sleep"
mode), or when I switch from DVD to HDD, then it thinks for a second
and then shuts down. It takes 2 restarts with the "Self checking"
message to get it up and running again. Once it's running it records
with no problems. Also, if the blue HDD symbol is lit (presumably the
HD is running) then it operates correctly. It's only when it's
starting up the HD that the issue occurs..

I've re-formatted the HDD and it still happening. Anyone have any
ideas??

**Have you ever tried unplugging it for awhile? I have an e85 and, in
the beginning, I was having lots of glitches and to completely purge
them, I had to unplug it. For me, it was a problem with the
downloadable TVGuide feature. I finally got it back to out-of-the-box
condition and bypassed the TVGuide feature on start-up. Because of
things I've read, I've avoided using the sleep mode on the e85. I
still have to occasionally unplug it today because it will, for some
reason, stop showing certain screens. For instance, if I go to
finalize a disc or assign it a name on the HDD, it'll be a blank blue
screen. It all goes back to normal when I unplug it for a bit. If you
don't find the answers you're looking for here, you could try
http://www.avsforum.com, scroll down to Site Navigation on the left of
your screen. I find it's a good place to ask around.

kaboomie