Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Repair tip: HP54542A powers up but has no CRT display

I just had three of these 4 channel 500MHz scopes come across my bench for
repair. The symptoms were that they would power up but have no CRT
display. All the front panel indicators would light and stay that way,
appearing like a CPU fault. As it turns out, the on-board Lithium battery
located under the vertically mounted CRT board was the culprit - I
temporarily placed a 3VDC power supply across the battery leads and
powered up the unit and got a display informing me that the calibration
settings have been lost. I replaced the battery and sent the units out for
calibration.