DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Strange problem with low energy light bulb (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/204772-strange-problem-low-energy-light-bulb.html)

Mr.T July 2nd 07 08:22 AM

CFL's

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
The standard ones are superior. CFLs are mainly for retrofitting
incandescent fixtures or for use in small fixtures of size like that of
incandescent fixtures.

Small size standard tubes have been available for decades.
The cost of replacing fittings is worth it IME.

MrT.

Mr.T July 2nd 07 08:34 AM

CFL's

"Steve Urbach" wrote in message
Most of the CFL's I have installed make it to 9000 hours.
I mark the "in service" date on the base body. I have a few lamps that

run
24/7 that repeatedly make it to rated time.

With people running lamps 24/7, no wonder we have an energy problem.
Domestic houses don't require permanant emegency lighting in Australia.
And if that's how you get a CFL to last, then there are no power savings to
be had.

I have also had a number of DOA's (dead from the start) and a number that
failed in the first 30 days.

My experience too.

Note: in all cases, CFL's were installed in open
fixtures and NOT on dimmers (or electronic timers).
Some long service time failures were spectacular (lots of smoke).

And fires have been caused by them as well. A real worry for those 24/7
lamps.

Non-CFL (AKA regular fluorescent) have starter failures that are more

frequent
than CFL failures.

Certainly not IME. I've had some non electronic starters last over 20 years!

MrT.

Jay July 2nd 07 11:13 AM

CFL's

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 07:47:55 GMT "James Sweet"
wrote in Message id: L_Ihi.3453$bh5.1611@trndny01:

Getting rid of that crossposting crap, makes me wonder if any newsreaders
can warn when crossposting so I don't have to remember to check.

Mine does. www.forteinc.com

Richard Crowley July 2nd 07 02:36 PM

CFL's

"Steve Urbach" wrote ...
Most of the CFL's I have installed make it to 9000 hours.
I mark the "in service" date on the base body. I have a
few lamps that run 24/7 that repeatedly make it to rated time.

That seems consistent with the theory that you get a
(much) longer life expectancy out of them when run
continuously vs. on-off.

Michael A. Terrell July 2nd 07 03:10 PM

Strange problem with low energy light bulb

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Military TV station in Alaska in the early '70s: Halogen studio
lights at the ceiling, and less than half in use at any one time. In the
winter I would open the back door to the studio to allow the sub zero
air into the studio to keep it below 80 degrees. In the summer, the
talking heads did the news in a dress uniform shirt and jacket, and
their underwear, because there was no air conditioning.

Its stupid NOT to have a reflector on any ceiling mounted lamp. When
it comes to studio lighting, there are different types of fixtues to
choose from. The choice depends on the lighting pattern that is
required. Also, small studio spotlights are used with brass Gobos to
project patterens on the studio walls. The last custom one I made was a
Shamrock, for an Irish preacher, who was visiting WACX TV.

http://www.sfxdesigninc.com/v2/ for examples of stock Gobos.

And the relevence to the current discussion is ..... ????????

MrT.

The group that its posted to: sci.engr.television.advanced

"I pity the fool who can't follow a thread!"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Don Klipstein July 3rd 07 02:02 AM

CFL's

In article , Mr.T wrote:

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
I see 1710, 1730 and 1750 on packages having "standard" incandescents,
as low as 1670 for 750 hour soft white.

The lowest wattage CFLs I have seen produce 1700-plus lumens are the
Philips 25 watt SLS (1750 lumens) and 26 watt spirals.

But even then not for their full life expectency unfortunately.

30 watt spirals - 100 watts after aging or when temperature is non-optimum

And they seem to be both hard to obtain, and expensive. And since the
wattage is approx 1/3rd, the savings are less than claimed.

Easily available at Lowes and Home Depot. And I don't see 30 watts vs.
26 being some huge major deal.

Me too, and those equally silly 8,000 hour claims.

That is for 3 hours per start in a 25 degree C ambient. This is the
actual industry standard for fluorescents. I think that a more
appropriate one for incandescent-replacement CFLs should be 1 hour per
start in a 40 degree C ambient.

40degC ambient???
Is that how you get the claimed life expectency, no wonder I never do.

Meanwhile, I do have CFLs normally last a few thousand hours.

And I still dream of even getting that much. I guess it will happen one day.

- Don Klipstein )

Don Klipstein July 3rd 07 02:19 AM

CFL's

In article , Mr.T wrote:

"Steve Urbach" wrote in message
.. .
Most of the CFL's I have installed make it to 9000 hours.
I mark the "in service" date on the base body. I have a few lamps that

run
24/7 that repeatedly make it to rated time.

With people running lamps 24/7, no wonder we have an energy problem.
Domestic houses don't require permanant emegency lighting in Australia.
And if that's how you get a CFL to last, then there are no power savings to
be had.

I never run mine 24/7, and they last.

I have also had a number of DOA's (dead from the start) and a number that
failed in the first 30 days.

My experience too.

I had a dollar store junker DOA, and another die spectacularly in 3
minutes (lots of smoke and orange burning glow in the ballast housing that
did not stop until I shut off the power).
I have had a couple Lights of America ones get flaky, another die in
just several hours, and an LOA 25 watt spiral from about 2001 die in
only a few hundred operating hours. I also had a couple GE 25 watt
spirals from about 2001 die in a few hundred operating hours.

Next up in life were Osram 13 watt quadtubes with glow switch starters
used in a bathroom, where they get turned on and off a lot. Those mostly
got about twice the life of incandescents. One spiral that I had in a
bathroom had life expectancy along those lines.

I have had over a dozen CFLs get a few thousand hours in household use,
some not yet dead but left behind during a move.

Note: in all cases, CFL's were installed in open
fixtures and NOT on dimmers (or electronic timers).
Some long service time failures were spectacular (lots of smoke).

And fires have been caused by them as well. A real worry for those 24/7
lamps.

The only fluorescent lamp caused fire I ever saw (or saw the aftermath
of) was caused by an overheating ballast for a 20 watt linear one when the
lamp failed, then caused the starter to get stuck shorted. That happened
in an elevator in an apartment building.

However, I think the fire risk of dollar store CFLs is worse than the
fire risk of other fluorescents, CFL or standard. One Teng Fei model was
recalled for having the ballast housing being made of non-flame-retardant
plastic. Then again, in my experience the dollar store junkers have worse
color and fall well short of claimed light output.

Non-CFL (AKA regular fluorescent) have starter failures that are more
frequent than CFL failures.

Certainly not IME. I've had some non electronic starters last over 20 years!

Standard linear fluorescents do generally last longer than CFLs.

Keep in mind that a bad lamp causes extra wear on a starter, and a bad
starter causes extra wear on a lamp. Then again, most fluorescents now
don't use starters.

- Don Klipstein )

Eeyore July 3rd 07 03:40 AM

CFL's

Don Klipstein wrote:

I had a dollar store junker DOA, and another die spectacularly in 3
minutes (lots of smoke and orange burning glow in the ballast housing that
did not stop until I shut off the power).

That'll doubtless be a certification failure.

Graham

Mr.T July 3rd 07 04:04 AM

[...]

Me too, especially those who can't even read the header of the thread they
are posting to.

MrT.

Mr.T July 3rd 07 04:31 AM

CFL's

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am personally not terribly happy about 'excessive' government
regulation, excepting that it has given us (here in the US) clean
water, much cleaner air, much safer cars, better drugs (in general),
and a few other benefits such that we all pretty much live better for
it. The brute fact of the matter is that many must be dragged kicking
and screaming to learning and knowledge... and live in a near-constant
state of denial as long as their personal space is not affected. Since
it is manifest that the average human being would like-as-not even
wipe his/her own butt were it not for social consequences, the sad
result is regulation of what should be within the general condition of
that rarest of all commodities: Common Sense.

Which proves the fallacy of your argument. Firstly butt wiping is not
legally mandated, (yet most seem to manage it) secondly Politicians with
common sense is an oxymoron, so why do you think their decisions are any
better?

MrT.

Don Klipstein July 3rd 07 04:40 AM

CFL's

In article , Eeyore wrote:

Don Klipstein wrote:

I had a dollar store junker DOA, and another die spectacularly in 3
minutes (lots of smoke and orange burning glow in the ballast housing that
did not stop until I shut off the power).

That'll doubtless be a certification failure.

In my experience, most dollar store CFLs do not have any sign of
certification by UL or CSA, nor FCC. Some show the CE symbol.

I am a bit leery of dollar store electrical items anyway. I once got an
extension cord at a dollar store that claimed UL listing, even mentioning
the file number. I believe that cord was not the one that is legitimately
listed with that file number, because it was rated 13 amps and got awfully
warm at 2.5 amps. The wire appeared to me to be about 24 AWG, maybe 26,
and had much higher resistance than normal copper wire of that size.

I got the cord to see how bad it was. I knew better to actually
normally use a dollar store extension cord that claimed a 13 amp rating
and was thinner than 18 AWG lamp cord. I did report it to UL. I now
cannot find that same cord at any dollar store.
I do see at one dollar store another similarly thin extension cord not
claiming certification and rated for 3 amps, and its resistance is in line
with normal copper wire of 24 AWG. If my ohmmeter was reading high due to
contact resistance, the wire could be anywhere from 24 to 20 AWG. I
consider that one unsafe because it could burn up if a load fails short or
worse still fails with decreased impedance drawing increased current but
not tripping your breaker.
Somehow I suspect 18 AWG lamp cord is the thinnest that reasonably
reliably carries the current through a dead short until a usual household
breaker trips or fuse blows. I don't see 18 AWG extension cords but I see
a lot of 16 AWG ones, so I suspect 16 is the thinnest that is "reasonably
safe" against overloads due to load malfunction.

For that matter, based on the usual ratings of 14 and 12 AWG extension
cords (15 and 20 amps respectively), I feel that the 13 amp rating usual
of 16 AWG ones to be a couple amps on the aggressive side. But enough
digressing from CFLs...

- Don Klipstein , )

mc July 3rd 07 04:56 AM

CFL's

I am a bit leery of dollar store electrical items anyway. I once got an
extension cord at a dollar store that claimed UL listing, even mentioning
the file number. I believe that cord was not the one that is legitimately
listed with that file number, because it was rated 13 amps and got awfully
warm at 2.5 amps. The wire appeared to me to be about 24 AWG, maybe 26,
and had much higher resistance than normal copper wire of that size.

I got the cord to see how bad it was. I knew better to actually
normally use a dollar store extension cord that claimed a 13 amp rating
and was thinner than 18 AWG lamp cord. I did report it to UL. I now
cannot find that same cord at any dollar store.
I do see at one dollar store another similarly thin extension cord not
claiming certification and rated for 3 amps, and its resistance is in line
with normal copper wire of 24 AWG.

That's the kind of thing your state government would like to know about, if
you're in the USA. Or your local newspaper or TV news reporters.

[email protected] July 3rd 07 01:54 PM

CFL's

On Jul 2, 11:31 pm, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

You are a piece of work ;-). Fallacy of my "argument"? If the
refutation and/or fallacy is based on your last statement, that would
be (and being very specific) the fallacy of "false premises" on your
part as to the quality of politicians, and "leaping to conclusions" on
the 'firstly' part. There are only seven fallacies, you are off to a
very good start.

As to how things work here in the US... as it happens, politicians
make very damned few 'decisions', that would be very dangerous
behavior. What they do is make laws. The regulations that enforce
those laws, together with the interpretations, decisions and so forth
are made by bureaucrats sitting in some cubicle somewhere. Mostly
those individuals live and work much as the rest of us and have the
same general interests as much of the rest of us, and want the same
things as much of the rest of us. So, by guess and by God and by
great good luck, we do get largely what we deserve both in our
politicians and in the results of their efforts. If you detect an
undercurrent of cynicism... well, you are not far off. But there are
results.

But the brute fact is that I have seen three major rivers local to me
turn from open cesspools to clean, living rivers, air that I once
could cut with a knife and had to leave the windows closed against
soot become clean... And I live in a state that remains a net-exporter
of energy to this day and the one where the very first oil well was
drilled in 1859, and had the distinction of being perhaps the most
polluted state in the United States in the 1950s, running in a close
contest with Ohio. In Cleveland, Ohio, the Cuyahoga River actually
caught fire once upon a time.

So, don't hold it against me that I have the wit to actually pay
attention to the lamps (and appliances, utilities, vehicles and so
forth) that I purchase and do so in an informed and thoughtful way...
in other words, I wipe my butt. That would be the point and in
refutation of your statement that 'most people seem to manage'...
actually, they do not. Example... one who purchases a Hummer for the
macho image while driving around on city streets. A definite lack of
butt-wiping skills there. And you may derive from there with many more
examples.... one who drives 22 miles round-trip to save $0.05 per
pound on chicken, and buys five pounds. Oh, and when they go they take
the Hummer, not the Prius... and so forth.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

[email protected] July 3rd 07 02:27 PM

CFL's

On Jul 1, 3:17 pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:

That is for 3 hours per start in a 25 degree C ambient. This is the
actual industry standard for fluorescents. I think that a more
appropriate one for incandescent-replacement CFLs should be 1 hour per
start in a 40 degree C ambient.

104F ambient? I spend 2.5 years in Saudi Arabia (eastern province) and
we seldom saw those temperatures steady-state outside of July and
August.

BTW, ALL of our common-area and exterior lamps there were PL-types,
mostly GE, and in 2.5 years across 295 residences (villas and
apartments), 100,000 square feet of office, two schools, four gyms and
two supermarkets, we purchased less than 144 lamps.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Mike Tomlinson July 3rd 07 04:43 PM

Strange problem with low energy light bulb

In article , Sam Goldwasser
writes

I'm somewhat skeptical of the explanation with respect to inductive or
capacitive coupling (though possible under just the right - or wrong -
conditions)

In the UK, it's common to drill holes in floor joists and run several
circuits through them, including lighting (6A) and ring (32A) circuits.
Thus a long length of ring main cable running alongside the lighting
circuit in question would easily be sufficient to induce some current
flow in the lighting circuit. This is where the energy comes from to
cause the CFL to charge up and flash.

To the OP: it's entirely normal and not indicative of a fault at all.
You only need to do something if the flashing bothers you.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
(='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Mike Tomlinson July 3rd 07 04:46 PM

Strange problem with low energy light bulb

In article . com, Seán
O'Leathlóbhair writes

I am not sure if this is an appropriate group for this question. If
not, please suggest a better one.

uk.d-i-y is a more appropriate group, where this phenomenon has been
discussed several times. A fix has also been posted several times.

Eeyore July 3rd 07 05:37 PM

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Sam Goldwasser writes

I'm somewhat skeptical of the explanation with respect to inductive or
capacitive coupling (though possible under just the right - or wrong -
conditions)

In the UK, it's common to drill holes in floor joists and run several
circuits through them, including lighting (6A) and ring (32A) circuits.
Thus a long length of ring main cable running alongside the lighting
circuit in question would easily be sufficient to induce some current
flow in the lighting circuit.

Not mA worth though.

Graham

Eeyore July 3rd 07 05:38 PM

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Seán O'Leathlóbhair writes

I am not sure if this is an appropriate group for this question. If
not, please suggest a better one.

uk.d-i-y is a more appropriate group, where this phenomenon has been
discussed several times. A fix has also been posted several times.

Would you care to share with us ?

Graham

Arfa Daily July 4th 07 03:05 AM

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Seán O'Leathlóbhair writes

I am not sure if this is an appropriate group for this question. If
not, please suggest a better one.

uk.d-i-y is a more appropriate group, where this phenomenon has been
discussed several times. A fix has also been posted several times.

Would you care to share with us ?

Graham

Got home tonight, and the one CFL that I am running in the outside light,
has gone off. I would guess that it has done about 1000 hours. It is a
Philips one. I might try to get the time to whip it out tomorrow, and see
what has happened to it

Arfa

Michael A. Terrell July 4th 07 07:09 AM

"Mr.T" wrote:

[...]

Sigh. Snipping things that you don't agree with? You're no "Mister
"T". PLONK.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Mr.T July 4th 07 10:43 AM

Strange problem with low energy light bulb

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
And the relevence to the current discussion is ..... ????????

"I pity the fool who can't follow a thread!"

Me too, especially those who can't even read the header of the thread

they
are posting to.

Sigh. Snipping things that you don't agree with?

So you can't remember what you wrote, and it's total irrelevance to the
current discussion? Try Google then.

PLONK.

Good riddance.

MrT.

Don Klipstein July 4th 07 11:23 PM

CFL's

In . com,
wrote:

On Jul 1, 3:17 pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:

That is for 3 hours per start in a 25 degree C ambient. This is the
actual industry standard for fluorescents. I think that a more
appropriate one for incandescent-replacement CFLs should be 1 hour per
start in a 40 degree C ambient.

104F ambient? I spend 2.5 years in Saudi Arabia (eastern province) and
we seldom saw those temperatures steady-state outside of July and August.

Check out the temperature of the air or the inner surface of the "cup"
in the "base end of the cup" of the "cups" (I don't know what to call
them) of ceiling fan fixtures when a CFL has been running there at least
15 minutes.

Same story for small enclosed fixtures. For that matter, not-so-small
enclosed fixtures are good for a good 10 degrees C difference between
"ambient temperature for the CFL" and "ambient temperature outside the
fixture".

Same or worse still with recessed ceiling fixtures. Keep in mind that
IR-sensing non-contact thermometers do not read bare metal well, but do
read masking tape well.

For that matter, see how air is sometimes a little warmer within a few
inches of the ceiling than elsewhere in the room when lights are running.

Also consider that temperature 15 degrees high increases wear rate more
than temperature 15 degrees low decreases wear rate.

BTW, ALL of our common-area and exterior lamps there were PL-types,
mostly GE, and in 2.5 years across 295 residences (villas and
apartments), 100,000 square feet of office, two schools, four gyms and
two supermarkets, we purchased less than 144 lamps.

Is this in PA or in Saudi Arabia?

Is this at a rate of 1 lamp serving more than two residences and about
690 square feet of office space in addition to about 1.4% of a school plus
about 2.8% of a gym and about 1.4% of a supermarket?
Is this a claimed burnout rate per 2.5 years? Two residences, 690
square feet of office space, 1.4% of a school, 1.4% of a supermarket and
2.8% of a gym combined burn out CFLs at a rate less than 1 a year even
with CFL for all "common area and exterior" lighting? Or is this going to
go up after the first 2.5 years?

Also, I expect PL types to usually outlast screw-base types in many
areas.
As for downsides of PL compared to screw-base ones with electronic
ballasts:
1) Nominal wattage of screw-base includes ballast losses while this is
not the case with PL. Add about 3 watts for PL. However, this is
probably not much of an issue, especially not with the 9-watt one (whose
effeciency after ballast losses is only a little worse than that of
screw-base electronic-ballasted ones of nominal wattage 10 watts or less).
2) In my experience, warm color PLs tend to be purplish-pinkish worse
than most screw-base ones (especially screw base ones 19 watts or less).
I find some correlation betwee this and ballast type, with electronic
ballasts resulting in a more yellowish color and non-electronic ballasts
giving a more pinkish color.
3) Some fixtures do not work as well with PLs optically as with
spirals, because PLs in general less resemble incandescents in light
source shape/size/location than spirals do.
4) With more frequent starting, in my experience PLs have worse extra
wear than most CFLs with electronic ballasts. I suspect the glow switch
starter causes starting wear for each "blink" as well as for the starting
attempt that takes hold.

If the color is OK with you, you don't have frequent starting, the light
distribution is OK and all that good stuff, then you are probably better
off with PL than with spirals. PLs don't have built-in disposable
ballasts.

- Don Klipstein )

Mr.T July 5th 07 05:51 AM

CFL's

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
That is for 3 hours per start in a 25 degree C ambient. This is the
actual industry standard for fluorescents. I think that a more
appropriate one for incandescent-replacement CFLs should be 1 hour per
start in a 40 degree C ambient.

104F ambient? I spend 2.5 years in Saudi Arabia (eastern province) and
we seldom saw those temperatures steady-state outside of July and August.

Check out the temperature of the air or the inner surface of the "cup"
in the "base end of the cup" of the "cups" (I don't know what to call
them) of ceiling fan fixtures when a CFL has been running there at least
15 minutes.

That would not normally be descibed as "ambient temperature" then.

Same story for small enclosed fixtures. For that matter, not-so-small
enclosed fixtures are good for a good 10 degrees C difference between
"ambient temperature for the CFL" and "ambient temperature outside the
fixture".

Or far more accurately, (and far less confusing) the enclosure temperature
and the room temperature.

MrT.

Richard Crowley July 5th 07 07:00 PM

CFL's

"Mr.T" wrote ...
"Don Klipstein" wrote ...
That is for 3 hours per start in a 25 degree C ambient. This is the
actual industry standard for fluorescents. I think that a more
appropriate one for incandescent-replacement CFLs should be 1 hour per
start in a 40 degree C ambient.

104F ambient? I spend 2.5 years in Saudi Arabia (eastern province) and
we seldom saw those temperatures steady-state outside of July and
August.

Check out the temperature of the air or the inner surface of the "cup"
in the "base end of the cup" of the "cups" (I don't know what to call
them) of ceiling fan fixtures when a CFL has been running there at least
15 minutes.

That would not normally be descibed as "ambient temperature" then.

It *IS* the "ambient temperature" for the CFL
(which is all that matters in this discussion.)

Same story for small enclosed fixtures. For that matter, not-so-small
enclosed fixtures are good for a good 10 degrees C difference between
"ambient temperature for the CFL" and "ambient temperature outside the
fixture".

Or far more accurately, (and far less confusing) the enclosure temperature
and the room temperature.

The "enclosure temperature" *IS* the "ambient temperature"
for the lamp. Whether the rest of the locale is -40F or +135F
makes no difference to the discussion.

[email protected] July 5th 07 08:08 PM

CFL's

On Jul 5, 2:00 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Mr.T" wrote ...

"Don Klipstein" wrote ...
[...]

makes no difference to the discussion.- Hide quoted text -

There are two ambient temperatures to consider. First, that at start-
up... that would seldom be anything near 40C. Then, there is ambient
during operation. And that would depend on the nature of the enclosure
(if any). My direct experience is that all of our CFL-type lamps may
be handled without discomfort at any time during operation, base and
tube.

That would be meaningfully cooler than any similar brightness
(irrespective of wattage) incandescent.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Mr.T July 6th 07 05:10 AM

CFL's

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, if your object is to confuse people, then not spelling out exactly
what you mean is a great way to do it.

MrT.

Eeyore July 6th 07 05:25 AM

CFL's

" wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Mr.T" wrote ...
"Don Klipstein" wrote ...
[...]

There are plenty of countries where you'll find an ambient temp close to 40C.
Imagine they want CFLs too.

Graham

Eeyore July 6th 07 05:28 AM

CFL's

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

The "enclosure temperature" *IS* the "ambient temperature"
for the lamp. Whether the rest of the locale is -40F or +135F
makes no difference to the discussion.

Sure, if your object is to confuse people, then not spelling out exactly
what you mean is a great way to do it.

It is a good point though.

Graham

Mr.T July 6th 07 05:50 AM

CFL's

"Eeyore" wrote in message
There are plenty of countries where you'll find an ambient temp close to

40C.
Imagine they want CFLs too.

I imagine they want house cooling too.

MrT.

Eeyore July 6th 07 07:24 AM

CFL's

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

There are plenty of countries where you'll find an ambient temp close to
40C. Imagine they want CFLs too.

I imagine they want house cooling too.

LOL !

You need to get out a bit.

Graham

Albert Manfredi July 6th 07 09:19 PM

LEDs as lamp replacements

wrote:

Issues with LEDs today:

Color rendering
Diffusion

Once those are solved effectively, they will be excellent
alternatives. My guess is 5 years to color rendering, and 5 more to
diffusion. Most LEDs today filter a single color to a specific
monochromatic output. Even the LED-type flashlights are very heavily
skewed to the blue end of the spectrum in order to get sufficient
brightness, and require multiple LEDs to get even a minor beam with
very poor diffusion.

But you can use a combination of red, green, and blue high intensity
LEDs, to create any variant of "white" that you prefer. From what Ive
read so far, the efficiency of the new high intensity LEDs is almost
identical now to that of CFLs, which means about the same lumens for 1/4
or 1/5th the power of an equally bright incandescent bulb.

I think we shouldn't get stuck on any supposed problem with CFLs, as if
they are the only alternative here.

The weird thing about LEDs is that they would last such a long time that
they wouldn't need replacement. In principle, you can build them right
into the lamp itself. Or in walls, or whatever.

Bert

Arfa Daily July 6th 07 11:03 PM

LEDs as lamp replacements

"Albert Manfredi" wrote in message

[...]

The length of service issue with LEDs is very dependant on the way they are
driven, if you are to get the maximum of 100,000 hours plus out of them.
However, that said, even if not driven properly - ie not pulsed - from what
I have read, they are still good for 40k hours, before the light output has
dropped by 50%. As far as colour rendering goes, I agree that this can be
achieved with combinations of RGB LEDs, and I'm sure can be made as good or
better now, as CFLs are ( not that I'm saying theat CFLs are good of course
.... !) Just a few days ago, I saw somewhere that one of the manufacturers
has come up with LED chips bonded to a sort of 'ball on a stick' shape, so
many small chips face in virtually every direction around a sphere, to get
over the point-source poor beamwidth issue.

BTW, Philips CFLs = China ? Not any more, it would seem. I picked one up in
the supermarket tonight to have a look. It said " Made in Poland " ...

Arfa

Don Pearce July 6th 07 11:13 PM

LEDs as lamp replacements

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 22:03:44 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

[...]

Currently, white LEDs are in fact blue LEDs coated with a fluorescent
substance, so probably the overall light quality will be quite similar
to CFL.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Arfa Daily July 7th 07 01:11 AM

LEDs as lamp replacements

wrote:

[...]

Hi Don

I just went looking at some of the latest LED technology, and they are now
producing LED chips that have an array of alternate red and blue die
'stripes', each made up of a string of individual dies, with the whole
overlaid with a yellow phosphor. By altering the colour of the phosphor,
they can set the colour temperature to any value they like and, it is
claimed, with a colour rendition index of 90 or better, so it seems that the
colour rendition issue with LED 'light bulbs' is a lot closer to being fully
resolved, than the 5 years that was postulated in one of the above posts. If
this is the case, and the field of LED lighting contnues to advance at the
pace that it has over the last say 3 years, then I would suggest that the
CFL has a very limited future ...

Arfa

Arfa
--
Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

James Sweet July 7th 07 04:52 AM

LEDs as lamp replacements

Currently, white LEDs are in fact blue LEDs coated with a fluorescent
substance, so probably the overall light quality will be quite similar
to CFL.

It's not, the phosphor is not the same as used in a CFL, and the light
output is dominated by the blue from the LED chip. Another problem with them
is that they shift blue as the phosphor ages. They're improving, but still
far from perfect. There's a lot of Chinese crap LEDs on the market now too
that are noticeably inferior to good name brand ones. I had some bargain
white LEDs that got dim and blue after only about 2 months of continuous use
and that was driven below spec.

John Doe July 7th 07 07:47 AM

LEDs as lamp replacements

"Albert Manfredi" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Don't believe everything you read.

Experience is the best teacher.

In other words, LEDs suck for bright light sources.

However, the hype is good for selling them to fools over the
TV/Internet. Like that one guy selling LED light bulbs on TV (USA). He
doesn't explicitly say that they're bright as a lightbulb, but they
are in a lightbulb package and used in the commercial as if they were
a lightbulb. Some people probably fall for that.

The weird thing about LEDs is that they would last such a long time
that they wouldn't need replacement. In principle, you can build
them right into the lamp itself. Or in walls, or whatever.

Right, but pointless except for low light applications.

Bert

Mr.T July 7th 07 08:50 AM

CFL's

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
I've done a fair number of fairly large (i.e., 8 or more bulbs per room)
incadescent (mostly halogen) to CFL upgrades, with extremely positive
results. In every case the fixtures were previously loaded up with
incadescent bulbs rated at the fixture's maximum power. They were

providing
poor to marginal lighting.

No argument from me that most halogens are even bigger crap than most CFL's.
However I had never assumed people do not bother to differentiate standard
filament light bulbs from small halogens.
I'm puzzled why they even bother to differentiate CFL's in that case. Simply
call them lamps :-)

MrT.

Mr.T July 7th 07 09:05 AM

CFL's

"Eeyore" wrote in message
There are plenty of countries where you'll find an ambient temp close

40C. Imagine they want CFLs too.

I imagine they want house cooling too.

LOL !

You need to get out a bit.

Maybe you can tell us exactly which houses have electric lighting and 40degC
temperatures at night.
(or why they choose to run lights during the day in such conditions)
I obviously haven't been "getting out" to those!

MrT.

Arfa Daily July 7th 07 11:01 AM

LEDs as lamp replacements

"John Doe" wrote in message
. net...
"Albert Manfredi" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have a friend who has LED downlighters as the only source of light in his
shop. They are perfectly bright and adequate for the job, if a little 'cold'
in colour temperature. Also, a local photography shop uses similar ones for
its window display, and again, the only comment you would make is that they
are a little cold. The specifications for up to date ones would certainly
suggest that they are on a par in terms of light output and beamwidth, with
comparable fitting halogens. With a bit of work, I'm sure that they will
also get to the point where they can replace a standard filament bulb, in
the same sized package, unlike a CFL which has to accommodate the ballast. I
think it might be a case of 'ya gets wot ya pay fer'

Arfa