Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ml ml is offline

Default iron vs toroid transformer

i have a astron 20amp supply

want to replace the iron transformer with a torroid

(to reduce noise)

the primary needs to be 120vac 60hz

not yet sure what their exact 2ndary is but guess it's got to be around
13v and able to handle the 25amp dc 20amp cont

is their any rules of thumb doing such a replacement or do i just match
the original spec's to the new toroid?

any good places for such a torrid? i couldn't find any in this range

btw

how do you mount one in a sheet metal enclosure? i presume the unit
can't come close to the metal case so i guess a small raised plastic
block and tie wraps?

thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

ml wrote:
i have a astron 20amp supply

want to replace the iron transformer with a torroid

Why not an iron toroid?

(to reduce noise)

the primary needs to be 120vac 60hz

not yet sure what their exact 2ndary is but guess it's got to be around
13v and able to handle the 25amp dc 20amp cont

is their any rules of thumb doing such a replacement or do i just match
the original spec's to the new toroid?

any good places for such a torrid? i couldn't find any in this range

btw

how do you mount one in a sheet metal enclosure? i presume the unit
can't come close to the metal case so i guess a small raised plastic
block and tie wraps?

thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ml wrote:

i have a astron 20amp supply

want to replace the iron transformer with a torroid

It's not an iron transformer, it's an EI laminated transformer ( presumably )
and it's made with steel laminations and the word you're looking for is toroid
with one R btw.

(to reduce noise)

the primary needs to be 120vac 60hz

not yet sure what their exact 2ndary is but guess it's got to be around
13v and able to handle the 25amp dc 20amp cont

I suggest you measure it ! is the load 25 or 20 A DC ?

is their any rules of thumb doing such a replacement or do i just match
the original spec's to the new toroid?

Basically yes - but do specify that's it has to supply a capacitor input filter
( I presume it does ) since the rms currrent is different to a resistive load.
This affects the required VA rating.

25A DC load ~ 40-45A AC rating btw ( crest factor correction ).

any good places for such a torrid? i couldn't find any in this range

Loads, but where are you, There's no point in me guessing.

btw

how do you mount one in a sheet metal enclosure? i presume the unit
can't come close to the metal case so i guess a small raised plastic
block and tie wraps?

There are several ways. I like the centre resin filled so you can bolt it down
myself, otherwise a circular 'dish' is the normal way.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
me me is offline

Eeyore wrote in
:

ml wrote:

[...]

This is one of those posts that makes me want to reply like you usually
do. (grahm)

To respond to the main message, you obviously lack the ability to handle
any conversion what so ever. This is demonstrated by your lack of
ability to find standard output toroids and your lack of knowledge of
basic terminology. Though of course it is obvious you once were a wiz at
electronics long in the past, but it has been a while since you practiced
the arcane arts....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ml ml is offline

Default tnx eeyoreiron vs toroid transformer

thanks very much for the tips appreciate your advice

i am in nyc btw

again thanks

In article ,

Eeyore wrote:

ml wrote:

[...]

Using 3ph transformer as single pahse transformer stanley baer Metalworking 5 November 9th 05 05:10 AM
Transformer Michele Smith Electronics Repair 1 April 16th 05 12:53 PM
Transformer help Ted Metalworking 9 January 28th 05 03:32 AM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM