Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sharp VCR won't play tape

I have a Sharp VC-A410 VCR that is about 2 years old. I put an old
tape in it, and the tape got tangled in the machine. I tried to pull
the tape out (not real hard), and it wouldn't come out. After that I
took the cover off, and cut the tape and pulled it out. Now when I try
to play a tape, I get a fairly loud clicking noise,and the tape machine
automatically shuts off.

After looking closely, I have discovered that a small round rubber item
(about 1/2" in diameter) is coming down on the videotape and mushing
it. (The rubber item is lowered when the videotape is put in place to
be played.) This rubber item is on the right side of the machine
maybe two inches from the, roughly, round two inch-diamter
rollers. I am pretty sure the videotape is supposed to lay flush
against the curved wall of the rubber instead of being partially under
it, as it currently is. Also, the loud clicking noise comes from the
place where the small rubber item is located. If anyone can help me
fix it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

JD