Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Maytag Dryer coils going bad

I have replaced the coils in a Maytag dryer twice. Each time, one of the
pair of coils is burned out (I presume). What would be damaging a coil so
quickly and why?

The syptom is that the gas will not ignite. When I replace the coil, the
gas ignities for a while, but shortly thereafter, it fails to ignite and
will not ignite again. I noticed that the damaged coil is very warm when I
remove it. The other parts adjacent to it, and the other coil are cool.

Can anyone help?

thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Larry wrote:

I have replaced the coils in a Maytag dryer twice. Each time, one of the
pair of coils is burned out (I presume). What would be damaging a coil so
quickly and why?

You gave no indication of time, so it's hard to say whether the failures
were "quick."

If you touch the active part of an igniter while installing it, you can
shorten its life.

The syptom is that the gas will not ignite. When I replace the coil, the
gas ignities for a while, but shortly thereafter, it fails to ignite and

"A while?"

will not ignite again. I noticed that the damaged coil is very warm when I
remove it. The other parts adjacent to it, and the other coil are cool.

What "other coil?" How do you identify "damage?"

I have to say, it's hard to figure out what you mean by your
description. Perhaps you could be clearer.

Can anyone help?

thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

If you touch the active part of an igniter while installing it, you can
shorten its life.

If this is anything like my Whirlpool dryer...these are not ignitors. They
are coils that operate a gas valve solenoid. The ignition is a tube shaped
device that glows yellow before the gas eventually lights up.

The original poster does need to provide more information, such as the
results of an ohmmeter test on the "bad" coil. I can't imagine what would be
opening up the coils, as they are usually pretty well protected and sturdy.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

If you touch the active part of an igniter while installing it, you can
shorten its life.

If this is anything like my Whirlpool dryer...these are not ignitors. They
are coils that operate a gas valve solenoid. The ignition is a tube shaped
device that glows yellow before the gas eventually lights up.

The original poster does need to provide more information, such as the
results of an ohmmeter test on the "bad" coil. I can't imagine what would be
opening up the coils, as they are usually pretty well protected and sturdy.

William

Perhaps they're 24V coils being fed 120V? Both voltages are common, a
24V coil will probably work for a while on 120V but then burn out.

Maytag dryer John Smith Home Repair 2 July 14th 06 03:58 AM
Maytag dryer repair Rob Mitchell Home Repair 2 September 13th 05 06:25 AM
maytag dryer repair Dan Espen Home Repair 4 September 10th 05 02:17 AM
Maytag gas dryer ivan Home Repair 3 August 16th 05 01:10 PM
new Maytag dryer clogs dryer vent shedmeister Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 09:40 PM