Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell computer DVD RW problem

My friend has a Dell PC with a DVD RW, the unit is about a year old.

We recently went to burn an audio CD and the computer doesn't reconize
there is a blank in the drive. I tried playing a music CD and it also
didn't reconize it.

The CD is spinning because when ejected, it's not positioned the same when
I place it on the tray. The only idea I came up with was the computer is
downstairs and it's a bit cold, could the cold be causing this problem?

I researched DVD specs and it gave an operationg spec of 41 degrees F and I
don't think the computer is being stored in a place that cold.

Any ideas?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peter" wrote in message
. ..
My friend has a Dell PC with a DVD RW, the unit is about a year old.

We recently went to burn an audio CD and the computer doesn't reconize
there is a blank in the drive. I tried playing a music CD and it also
didn't reconize it.

The CD is spinning because when ejected, it's not positioned the same when
I place it on the tray. The only idea I came up with was the computer is
downstairs and it's a bit cold, could the cold be causing this problem?

I researched DVD specs and it gave an operationg spec of 41 degrees F and
don't think the computer is being stored in a place that cold.

Any ideas?

Go to the Dell web site and find out IF you have the latest drivers AND
firmware for the DVD RW.

This was a known problem with some DVD and mfg (Dell, HP, Gateway/eMachines,
etc.) were a bit slow in providing the driver updates or the firmware
upgrade for the Drive (Sony, Memorex, Toshiba, NEC, etc.)

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

w9gb wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

if you use a NERO driver you must select DVD or DV first
rw

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

w9gb wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Eh ?

This is a drive that was previously working.

Nor does it need a driver to play CDs.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter wrote:
My friend has a Dell PC with a DVD RW, the unit is about a year old.

We recently went to burn an audio CD and the computer doesn't reconize
there is a blank in the drive. I tried playing a music CD and it also
didn't reconize it.

Any ideas?

Isn't this the DRM Worm that SONY got SUED Millions for !!!

Where if you try to Copy a DRM protected CD, it uploads a trojan horse
Virus ??? that screws up your CD Burner !

Yukio YANO

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jim jim is offline

Peter wrote:
My friend has a Dell PC with a DVD RW, the unit is about a year old.

We recently went to burn an audio CD and the computer doesn't reconize
there is a blank in the drive. I tried playing a music CD and it also
didn't reconize it.

The CD is spinning because when ejected, it's not positioned the same when
I place it on the tray. The only idea I came up with was the computer is
downstairs and it's a bit cold, could the cold be causing this problem?

I researched DVD specs and it gave an operationg spec of 41 degrees F and I
don't think the computer is being stored in a place that cold.

Any ideas?

many times the little rubber belt that drives the tray and lifts the cd
into position slips and doesnt lock into place.Here is my test for a
slipping drive belt .... open the tray , shut computer off (hold onto
the tray untill it powers down) now look just under the tray see the
belt? wile holding the small pully with a small screwdriver , try to
turn the bigger pully if it spins easy , the belt is streached ... replace.
Jim