Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Lead free vitronics oven profile

As we have vitronics oven(SMR610A) made in december1997, which has 5
heating & 2 cooling zones. For lead free soldering what should be our
baseline for low/medium density boards. we have gathered profiles from
various paste manufacturers, however we don't have data on how what
temperature should be kept at heating and cooling zones?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hemendra wrote:
As we have vitronics oven(SMR610A) made in december1997, which has 5
heating & 2 cooling zones. For lead free soldering what should be our
baseline for low/medium density boards. we have gathered profiles from
various paste manufacturers, however we don't have data on how what
temperature should be kept at heating and cooling zones?

OK -- what kind of solder are you using? What does the solder paste
manufacturer recommend for a profile?

Go to the manufacturer of the solder paste first. They all recommend
profiles. If their data isn't clear, give them a call. Their apps
people would be able to give you great answers to the basic question of
solder temp profile. Then look at your process and board results. Use
a thermocouple on the board to determine your setpoints. Run profiles
and tweak the setpoints to find out what works best for you (Vitronics
makes this easy by providing an external T/C input that will chart for
you). You see, drafting and other factors are first order variables
here, and vary from installation to installation, even with identical
reflow ovens.

Vitronics makes great ovens. Once you get it going, you'll have really
consistent results. A couple of notes: First, make sure you allow
enough time between tweaks for temps to stabilize before running the
next iteration (at least an hour). And make sure you have really good
control over the gas and especially exhaust volumes -- they have to be
consistent for reliable results. Many setups are destroyed because
there's inconsistent drafting from the exhaust, pulling extra air into
the oven and playing Hob with the temps.

I'd assume they're paying you to do this job. Sorry, but you have to
earn your wages here, just like everyone else. Since you'll have to
wait an hour between iterations, you might want to bring a cot to work
if you're in a hurry.

Good luck
Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hemendra wrote:
As we have vitronics oven(SMR610A) made in december1997, which has 5
heating & 2 cooling zones. For lead free soldering what should be our
baseline for low/medium density boards. we have gathered profiles from
various paste manufacturers, however we don't have data on how what
temperature should be kept at heating and cooling zones?

Forgot to mention -- contact the manufacturer for starting points on
your seven setpoints:

http://www.vitronics-soltec.com/contact/

Good luck
Chris