Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Could I get feedback on appliance companies?

I was wondering if anyone here had a strong opinion of how well (in
general, of course)
GE, Frigidaire and Bosch ovens and microwaves hold up. I know everything
had tons of electronics and some companies may have more troublesome
designs than others.

Thanks so much!

Joy
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Joy wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here had a strong opinion of how well (in
general, of course)
GE, Frigidaire and Bosch ovens and microwaves hold up. I know everything
had tons of electronics and some companies may have more troublesome
designs than others.

I know you said ovens and microwaves, but I can't pass up an
opportunity to rant and complain about my Amana refrigerator. 6 years
old, 26 cu. ft. side-by-side, woke up Thanksgiving morning to a
non-working fridge, bad compressor. Since the fridge was already on
it's 4th icemaker, we assumed we had a lemon. Meanwhile the
20-something year old GE fridge in the garage just keeps humming along.

Jerry

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:25:58 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:32:12 +0000, Joy Has Frothed:

I was wondering if anyone here had a strong opinion of how well (in
general, of course)
GE, Frigidaire and Bosch ovens and microwaves hold up. I know everything
had tons of electronics and some companies may have more troublesome
designs than others.

Thanks so much!

Joy

GE makes a great oven. Don't know about the others.

GE *can* make a great oven depending on the model and who they outsourced
it to.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I am disappointed with Whirlpool service. I have a "Gold series"
refrigerator and the temperature doesn't regulate sensibly, its too cold
most of time although set to warmest temperature. Calling the service
number gets a technician out who says nothing is wrong. Calling back
service to talk to a factory rep gets you nowhere. They just want to
send the same crew out. I could burn up their warranty money by
continuing to call service. Might have to do so before the warranty runs
out. I think these companies are all the same, I had a similar problem
with a Kenmore washer that kept losing a spring off the suspension.
Techs would come out without bringing parts, put the old one back and
then "sproing" its off again.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Joy" wrote in message
news
I was wondering if anyone here had a strong opinion of how well (in
general, of course)
GE, Frigidaire and Bosch ovens and microwaves hold up. I know everything
had tons of electronics and some companies may have more troublesome
designs than others.

Thanks so much!

Joy

Have a 23+ year old Panasonic that hasn't even had the light bulb replaced
yet. It's used daily. May not be relevant for whets being made now but I'll
have to buy another one, eventually.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

T Shadow wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
news
I was wondering if anyone here had a strong opinion of how well (in
general, of course)
GE, Frigidaire and Bosch ovens and microwaves hold up. I know everything
had tons of electronics and some companies may have more troublesome
designs than others.

Thanks so much!

Joy

Have a 23+ year old Panasonic that hasn't even had the light bulb replaced
yet. It's used daily. May not be relevant for whets being made now but I'll
have to buy another one, eventually.

The problem is you can't really go by how good a 23 year old unit is,
there's a good chance the same brand unit today was built by a different
company entirely and an even better chance that it wasn't built as well
as the old one regardless. To make sense of anything you first have to
do some research into who actually makes the item you're considering
buying. Also a lot can be predicted by just general fit & finish and the
feel of the unit. If it feels flimsy and parts don't fit together well,
they probably cut corners inside as well.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...

I know you said ovens and microwaves, but I can't pass up an
opportunity to rant and complain about my Amana refrigerator. 6 years
old, 26 cu. ft. side-by-side, woke up Thanksgiving morning to a
non-working fridge, bad compressor. Since the fridge was already on
it's 4th icemaker, we assumed we had a lemon. Meanwhile the
20-something year old GE fridge in the garage just keeps humming along.

Even Maytag, once an icon of quality, has moved its manufacturing to
Crapland.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message
T Shadow wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message
news
[...]

Wish I'd thought of that. Oh, I did.
I've bought other Panasonic products in recent past and haven't seen a
reduction in quality like a lot of other brand names. Have a Walkman Sport
from the same era that still works. I've worked on it a little but it's
still impressive longevity. Their newer stuff has been crap.
Buying by reputation still makes sense to me for appliances at least. Better
than guessing.
Probably the OP should have asked what's crap. That shows up quickly.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

T Shadow wrote:

I've bought other Panasonic products in recent past and haven't seen a
reduction in quality like a lot of other brand names.

I've had the same experience with their products, but their service has
been another matter and took a turn for the worse about 10 years ago,
which may be why this multi-billion dollar company has an unacceptable
rating from the Better Business Bureau. Back around 2000, they
replaced my CRT monitor 3 times with "refurbished" units, the last 2
which looked battered, one having been dropped at the factory - before
it was placed in the shipping carton. Panasonic somehow made me deal
only with their legal dept., which was staffed by people who sounded
angry and drunk.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...

Panasonic somehow made me deal
only with their legal dept., which was staffed by people who sounded
angry and drunk.

When the only lawyers who will work for you are angry -- or drunk -- or
both -- that's a bad sign.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...

T Shadow wrote:

I've bought other Panasonic products in recent past and haven't seen a
reduction in quality like a lot of other brand names.

I've had the same experience with their products, but their service has
been another matter and took a turn for the worse about 10 years ago,
which may be why this multi-billion dollar company has an unacceptable
rating from the Better Business Bureau. Back around 2000, they
replaced my CRT monitor 3 times with "refurbished" units, the last 2
which looked battered, one having been dropped at the factory - before
it was placed in the shipping carton. Panasonic somehow made me deal
only with their legal dept., which was staffed by people who sounded
angry and drunk.

Did you ever get it satisfactorily resolved?

Never thought to run big corporations through the BBB. Interesting that
Panasonic, not a BBB member, gets an unacceptable for mostly not getting
things resolved in time and Sony, a BBB member, gets a satisfactory even
though 25% are unhappy with the outcome. The only two I looked at. Both
numbers are very low for corporations with such volume.

I've talked to people in/from other countries that were nearly
incomprehensible. 10 years ago might not of thought about them not being
in/from this country.