DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   silver, gold, silver, black, brown Who can read its value? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/185224-silver-gold-silver-black-brown-who-can-read-its-value.html)

hotjomo December 9th 06 01:51 AM

silver, gold, silver, black, brown Who can read its value?

Hi, it's the color code on a resistor, I'm unsure its order is silver,
gold, silver, black, brown
or brown, black, silver, gold, silver.
I never seen color code like this before, anyone know how to read it ??
thank you.

hotjomo December 9th 06 03:00 AM

silver, gold, silver, black, brown Who can read its value?

budgie เขียน:
On 8 Dec 2006 17:51:57 -0800, "hotjomo" wrote:

Hi, it's the color code on a resistor, I'm unsure its order is silver,
gold, silver, black, brown
or brown, black, silver, gold, silver.
I never seen color code like this before, anyone know how to read it ??
thank you.

I'd suspect it starts with brown-black, but for me silver doesn't compute in the
middle position. Have a close look at that third band and check out:

http://www.kitz.ozware.com/resistor5b.html

Thank alot : budgie
But it's very sure = brown, black, silver, gold, silver

Jim Land December 9th 06 03:36 AM

silver, gold, silver, black, brown Who can read its value?

"hotjomo" wrote in
oups.com:

budgie เขียน:
On 8 Dec 2006 17:51:57 -0800, "hotjomo" wrote:

Hi, it's the color code on a resistor, I'm unsure its order is
silver, gold, silver, black, brown
or brown, black, silver, gold, silver.
I never seen color code like this before, anyone know how to read it
?? thank you.

I'd suspect it starts with brown-black, but for me silver doesn't
compute

in the
middle position. Have a close look at that third band and check out:

http://www.kitz.ozware.com/resistor5b.html

Thank alot : budgie
But it's very sure = brown, black, silver, gold, silver

Measure it with an ohmmeter and let us know how many ohms. Maybe then we
can figure out the color code!

Homer J Simpson December 9th 06 03:48 AM

silver, gold, silver, black, brown Who can read its value?

"hotjomo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thank alot : budgie
But it's very sure = brown, black, silver, gold, silver

http://engr.astate.edu/circuits/resistor-code1.jpg

Probably 0.1 ohm 5% but odd to have the extra silver band.

Mark Fortune December 9th 06 04:30 AM

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"hotjomo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thank alot : budgie
But it's very sure = brown, black, silver, gold, silver

http://engr.astate.edu/circuits/resistor-code1.jpg

Probably 0.1 ohm 5% but odd to have the extra silver band.

might the extra silver be a temperature co-efficient band?
/random guessingness

Homer J Simpson December 9th 06 07:05 AM

"Mark Fortune" wrote in message
Homer J Simpson wrote:
"hotjomo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thank alot : budgie
But it's very sure = brown, black, silver, gold, silver

http://engr.astate.edu/circuits/resistor-code1.jpg

Probably 0.1 ohm 5% but odd to have the extra silver band.

might the extra silver be a temperature co-efficient band?
/random guessingness

I suspect the 'silver' is actually grey.

budgie December 9th 06 08:49 AM

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 07:05:12 GMT, "Homer J Simpson" wrote:

"Mark Fortune" wrote in message
.. .
Homer J Simpson wrote:
"hotjomo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thank alot : budgie
But it's very sure = brown, black, silver, gold, silver

http://engr.astate.edu/circuits/resistor-code1.jpg

Probably 0.1 ohm 5% but odd to have the extra silver band.

might the extra silver be a temperature co-efficient band?
/random guessingness

I suspect the 'silver' is actually grey.

That was also my bet, which is why I suggested a close look at #3.

Arfa Daily December 9th 06 12:07 PM

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"hotjomo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thank alot : budgie
But it's very sure = brown, black, silver, gold, silver

http://engr.astate.edu/circuits/resistor-code1.jpg

Probably 0.1 ohm 5% but odd to have the extra silver band.

I agree with 0R1 @ 5%. I would suggest also that it is possibly a fusible /
safety resistor, particularly if it is open circuit with no obvious signs of
distress. I have seen fusibles with extra silver or gold bands on them, that
appear to make no sense in the value scheme. If it is such, it should be
replaced with a similar type and rating only, to preserve safety, and likely
compliance. What is the piece of kit that the resistor is in, and
whereabouts in the circuit? Might give an extra clue.

Don't know if this might be of some help ??
http://www.elexp.com/t_resist.htm

Arfa

Ole Geisler December 9th 06 08:56 PM

silver, gold, silver, black, brown Who can read its value?

On 8 Dec 2006 17:51:57 -0800, "hotjomo" wrote:

Hi, it's the color code on a resistor, I'm unsure its order is silver,
gold, silver, black, brown
or brown, black, silver, gold, silver.
I never seen color code like this before, anyone know how to read it ??
thank you.

0.1 Ohms

Brown - black - silver

1 - 0 - x0.01

budgie December 10th 06 01:58 AM

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 21:56:17 +0100, Ole Geisler wrote:

On 8 Dec 2006 17:51:57 -0800, "hotjomo" wrote:

Hi, it's the color code on a resistor, I'm unsure its order is silver,
gold, silver, black, brown
or brown, black, silver, gold, silver.
I never seen color code like this before, anyone know how to read it ??
thank you.

0.1 Ohms

Brown - black - silver

1 - 0 - x0.01

That's only if you treat it as a four-band code.