Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV to PC Speakers - Voltage mismatch?

I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with built in
amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV in to a stereo
3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a voltage
for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

Thanks,
QS.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"QuString" wrote in message
I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with built in
amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV in to a stereo
3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a
voltage for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

Thanks,
QS.

Stupid question but: have you turned down the volume on the TV? Last I
checked mine could be turned down to zero output. Or are you saying that
one "up volume" button push from totally off and you've got huge sound
output from the PC speakers?

The TV's audio out should be putting out a signal level suitable for input
to an external amp. I've got mine running into my music amp. The PC
speakers SHOULD accept this input too. I suppose it's possible that the
speaker amp may be set up with monster gain to compensate for a weak signal
from some sort of non-standard PC sound card output.

You can always put a resistor in series with the signal lead to attenuate
the signal.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"QuString" wrote in message

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a
voltage for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

Pad the output down.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
QuString wrote:
I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with built
in amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV in to a
stereo 3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a
voltage for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

Yes - you need some attenuators. A decent Hi-Fi shop should sell inline
RCA phono types or you could make them if handy with a soldering iron.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
QuString wrote:

I want to use a small cheap PC speaker set (4 speakers + sub with built
in amp) on a TV. I have connected a twin RCA lead from the TV in to a
stereo 3.5mm jack on the sub/amp.

Problem is its way too loud, presumably the TV output is too high a
voltage for the PC speakers?

Anything easy I can do to match the output/input?

Yes - you need some attenuators. A decent Hi-Fi shop should sell inline
RCA phono types or you could make them if handy with a soldering iron.

Each attentuator is 2 resistors, and if stereo you'll need two of them.
So 4p worth of components.

NT