Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "Jungle" IC

Meat Plow ) writes:
Anyone know why it's called "jungle" ?

I always thought it was in reference to the complicated waveform
that makes up the video signal.

But I can't remember if I saw that spelled out years ago and have
forgotten where, or if it's just an assumption.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Black" wrote in message

I always thought it was in reference to the complicated waveform
that makes up the video signal.

But I can't remember if I saw that spelled out years ago and have
forgotten where, or if it's just an assumption.

ISTR the Cyclops circuit used in UK TVs - don't know if that one made it off
shore.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"Michael Black" wrote in message

I always thought it was in reference to the complicated waveform
that makes up the video signal.

But I can't remember if I saw that spelled out years ago and have
forgotten where, or if it's just an assumption.

ISTR the Cyclops circuit used in UK TVs - don't know if that one made it off
shore.

After reading the posts in this thread, I now have a small idea of
how complicated (!) the jungle IC is in my RCA CTC 185 19" TV. I would
guess most of the small signal circuits are on that chip (my gosh, it
seems like most of the TV, outside of the deflection circuits, is on
there!), not to mention auto color control and so on. Which reminds me.
I've been wondering for some time how the older (1990s) CRT RCAs (19"
CTC185A7, model F19261 in particular) handle the auto color control
functions. Posted a question in reference to this on AudioKarma.org (in
one of their color-TV forums) some time ago and got no responses, so
I'm posing the same question here. Are the control circuits on the
jungle IC or are they on a separate black box chip, and do they operate
anything like the older RCA ColorTrak system? I think my set must have
some kind of color tracking system, as the color is very
stable--haven't had to adjust the onscreen controls much at all since I
installed the set seven years ago; I just set the auto-color menu
option to "on" and left it there. If it is not strictly ColorTrak or a
variation thereof, what type of auto color system did this set use? I
know the later RCA TruFlat TVs have what is called "Advanced Color
View"; is this also a variation on the ColorTrak system? Whatever it
is, it must work very well, because as I said, the color on my RCA
CTC185 TV is very stable with the auto-color on; it's the most stable
of any color TV I've ever owned, and I've had several in my life,
including two 13" Zenith color portables that weren't half bad in that
department.

I realize the part of my post dealing with ColorTrak, etc. is off
topic in this thread, but I thought it might fit in, considering we're
talking about the jungle IC in modern sets and its many functions. I
wouldn't be surprised if a very sophisticated auto-color system is on
that chip somewhere.

Kind regards,

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV (email addy not shown to deter spammers)
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"Michael Black" wrote in message

I always thought it was in reference to the complicated waveform
that makes up the video signal.

But I can't remember if I saw that spelled out years ago and have
forgotten where, or if it's just an assumption.

ISTR the Cyclops circuit used in UK TVs - don't know if that one made it
off shore.

Hey Homey - hows it goin' ? That was a Thorn special and it was Syclops with
an "S". It was an acronym for SY-nchronous C-hopper and L-ine O-utput
S-tage. As I recall, it was used in the 8500 chassis - maybe the 8000 as
well - and was a bloody nightmare to work on ! Happy days ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Hey Homey - hows it goin' ? That was a Thorn special and it was Syclops
with an "S". It was an acronym for SY-nchronous C-hopper and L-ine O-utput
S-tage. As I recall, it was used in the 8500 chassis - maybe the 8000 as
well - and was a bloody nightmare to work on ! Happy days ...

I never could see how to repair such a beast unless you had a power supply
to run the set while you fixed it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message KsA3h.56292$H7.14936@edtnps82, Homer J Simpson
writes

"Michael Black" wrote in message

I always thought it was in reference to the complicated waveform
that makes up the video signal.

But I can't remember if I saw that spelled out years ago and have
forgotten where, or if it's just an assumption.

ISTR the Cyclops circuit used in UK TVs - don't know if that one made it off
shore.

Euuughh, thank you very much for reminding me of that one.... BTW,
wasn't it Syclops? Nasty Thorn sh*t.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message LiK3h.57825$H7.18398@edtnps82, Homer J Simpson
writes
Hey Homey - hows it goin' ? That was a Thorn special and it was Syclops
with an "S". It was an acronym for SY-nchronous C-hopper and L-ine O-utput
S-tage. As I recall, it was used in the 8500 chassis - maybe the 8000 as
well - and was a bloody nightmare to work on ! Happy days ...

I never could see how to repair such a beast unless you had a power supply
to run the set while you fixed it.

Umm, Variac, several different light bulbs for current limiting and a
large bag of thyristors.

--
Clint Sharp