Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic SA-AK403 Problem, please help!

I have a panasonic 5 cd stereo system and I have a major problem with
the cd function. When it plays cds it skips really horribly. These are
not burned cds, nor are they necessarily old cds. I have tried MANY
brand new cds, straight out of the package, and have yet to find a cd
that does not skip. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 31, 6:25 pm, wrote:
I have a panasonic 5 cd stereo system and I have a major problem with
the cd function. When it plays cds it skips really horribly. These are
not burned cds, nor are they necessarily old cds. I have tried MANY
brand new cds, straight out of the package, and have yet to find a cd
that does not skip. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

I would try a good cleaning of the optics. Use isopropyl alcohol I use
a stronger version at100% than you buy for medical purporses 70%, but
it would work too.
Good Luck, StarBaseONE2

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Oct 31, 6:25 pm, wrote:
I have a panasonic 5 cd stereo system and I have a major problem with
the cd function. When it plays cds it skips really horribly. These are
not burned cds, nor are they necessarily old cds. I have tried MANY
brand new cds, straight out of the package, and have yet to find a cd
that does not skip. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

I would try a good cleaning of the optics. Use isopropyl alcohol I use
a stronger version at100% than you buy for medical purporses 70%, but
it would work too.
Good Luck, StarBaseONE2

be very careful when cleaning the lens! the mounting is fragile.
Take a good look at it. If it's kind of dirty or cloudy, like your
reading glass's when they get dirty, then that's a problem. Before you
reach for cleaning solution try using a soft but stiff cotton tip (like
a medical grade q-tip, where you pull the cotton partially off of the
tip) and polish the lens dry. Use a circular motion, gently. The lens
should shine up so you can see a nice clear reflection in it. Like your
glass's after you've cleaned them.
The other thing to look for is "debris", hairs, dust bunnies, crumbs,
or other smutz. If you have a can of "air" you can blow the stuff out or
pick it out with tweezers.
Check that the travel of the sled, the carrier that the lens unit is
on, moves freely. Often debris, hairs mostly it seems, will get in the
gear drive and cause it to jerk. Hence the skips.
All of these can be tricky and if you're not used to working the inside
of a CD player or are "all thumbs", they might be best left to a
professional. If it's a compact/portable unit it gets worse. These can
be real nightmarish time-wasters just to open up/disassemble to do the
service.
Also do the skips occur on every track, are they worse towards the end
of the CD than the beginning? Does the player read the CD OK and just
have trouble playing or are there some CD's it can't read/load??

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

tomh writes:

wrote:

On Oct 31, 6:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

NEVER try to polish ANY lens dry!!!!

That just rubs in any grit or dust that was there resulting in microscopic
scratches.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/