Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Thought I'd try he Disassembly insts/manual for HP 1115 PhotosmartPrinter

Folks,
I posted this request in the printer usenets without any luck. Thought
I'd give it a try here.
A neighbor asked me to fix an HP Photosmart 1115. The carriage is
stuck all the way to the right and will not transport left. Constant
stuck cart error message with "rattling" sound. Followed HP website
instructions for stuck cart but no joy. Popped the top and with
flashlight, discovered 1/8" diameter, 1/4" long spring, loose and lying
at the bottom of the case. Can't determine where it goes.
Does anyone have cover removal instructions or a PDF maintenance
manual. I would be very greatful.
TIA,
Jim Kennedy K4NAV
LT USN(Ret)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
. ..

Popped the top and with flashlight, discovered 1/8" diameter, 1/4" long
spring, loose and lying at the bottom of the case. Can't determine where
it goes.

Perhaps back in something else? Does it work without it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Nope,
As I said, the cart is stuck to the right. I can hear a rattling
sound as the drive belt attempts to engage but never turns.
JFK
Homer J Simpson wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
. ..

Popped the top and with flashlight, discovered 1/8" diameter, 1/4" long
spring, loose and lying at the bottom of the case. Can't determine where
it goes.

Perhaps back in something else? Does it work without it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim" wrote in message

Nope,
As I said, the cart is stuck to the right. I can hear a rattling sound
as the drive belt attempts to engage but never turns.

Perhaps it 'biases' the cart out to meet the belt?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Jim is offline

True. If I knew how to get the cover off the thing I could take a look.
It's clamped on the bottom with 4 plastic clips that fit through the
case. I am going to try to figure out which screws and other items to
remove to get the cover off if no one has a pictorial for me to follow.
I'd really like to have an exploded view of disassembly if someone has one.
JFK

omer J Simpson wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
Nope,
As I said, the cart is stuck to the right. I can hear a rattling sound
as the drive belt attempts to engage but never turns.

Perhaps it 'biases' the cart out to meet the belt?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
me me is offline

Jim wrote in
:

True. If I knew how to get the cover off the thing I could take a look.
It's clamped on the bottom with 4 plastic clips that fit through the
case. I am going to try to figure out which screws and other items to
remove to get the cover off if no one has a pictorial for me to follow.
I'd really like to have an exploded view of disassembly if someone has
one.
JFK

No pictorial here but general guidlines for HP stuff. Undo all screws,
ususally just a couple on top under the swing down covers these days.
Then the plastic tabs near the bottom have to be pried out of their
'slots'. A light and a small screwdriver should do the trick. The back
ones seem to be the easiest to undo first, which should give enough wiggle
room in the case to be able to see and undo the front ones....

Not a lot of help, but that's the way it goes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

once you get the cover off the first time it will be obvious how it
"should" have come off.
The spring; there is a long thin tape with vertical bars on it that
runs the width of the printer. This is how the printer keeps track of
horizontal movement. The spring may be tensioning this tape. If the tape
is flopping around or loose at the right end the cartridge carriage may
not be able to tell it's at the end of travel.
Although I've seen this problem on printers that have a good tape.
Perhaps the sensor on the cartridge carriage is bad and not registering
correctly.
Good Luck

Jim wrote:
OK, thanks for replying.

[...]