Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dead transformer in UPS

The transformer in my Tripp Lite "Internet750U" UPS appears to be dead.
120v goes into it (measured near where the power cord goes into it) but
nothing comes out the other side.

The sci.electronics.repair faq and http://sound.westhost.com/xfmr.htm
both lead me to believe I should check for a thermal fuse under the
insulating wrapping.

The FAQ says
"There may be a thermal fuse buried under the outer layers of the
transformer which may have blown. These can be replaced but locating one
may prove quite a challenge."

There's no visible bulges in the wrapping; do I just cut into it and try
to find the thing? I'm not terribly afraid to destroy it. If I can't
repair it, I'll want to hack the remains into a standalone inverter and
use a standalone charger with it (and maybe a bigger battery -- say, the
one in my RV).

Are there any other diagnostic tests I should try first?

Sharp TV dead Golf Electronics Repair 4 July 4th 06 01:24 AM
Taking apart a large transformer Doug Kanter Home Repair 72 January 28th 05 03:29 AM
Ever turn a dead leprechaun?!? Birchy Woodturning 3 December 27th 04 01:33 AM
Dead Leprechaun Coffins [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 22nd 04 07:16 AM
SmartUPS dead? Hactar Electronics Repair 7 February 14th 04 07:53 PM