Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Go Video = RCA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Or am I just drinking the Koolaid?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
ups.com...
Or am I just drinking the Koolaid?

A little information on RCA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
ups.com...
Or am I just drinking the Koolaid?

A little information on RCA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA

I only asked because I was mindlessly sniffing through products by mfg
on e-bay and saw some VCRs up for auction in which Go-Video and RCA
appeared in the title.

Haven't found any connection via your link or otherwise.

-CC

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
ups.com...
Or am I just drinking the Koolaid?

A little information on RCA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA

I only asked because I was mindlessly sniffing through products by mfg
on e-bay and saw some VCRs up for auction in which Go-Video and RCA
appeared in the title.

Haven't found any connection via your link or otherwise.

It can be confusing these days to figure out who is manufacturing what. RCA
is just a trademark, as GE bought that venerable (Saintly) corporation and
dissected it and sold off most of the pieces. RCA was a trusted name and GE
knew that they were buying an influential marketing image.

So, it is 2006 and many consumers still believe in Saints. From my
viewpoint, it is now mostly a crapshoot and tend to not place much faith in
any of the "Saintly" brand names. Quick example: I used to think that Sony
stuff was worth the extra cost and now believe otherwise (after personal
experiences with Sony products).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:

It can be confusing these days to figure out who is manufacturing
what. RCA is just a trademark, as GE bought that venerable (Saintly)
corporation and dissected it and sold off most of the pieces. RCA
was a trusted name and GE knew that they were buying an influential
marketing image.

GE dumped their consumer electronics to Thompson (french) back in the late
80's, and the RCA GE names haven't meant a thing ever since........ GE in
turn bought Thompson's medical x-ray division to get more overseas business.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
RCA has been Thompson Consumer for a good while. Don't know what Go Vid
would have to do with them.

IME RCA is a rent-a-brand like Singer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
[...]

Today's Thomson-built RCA TVs aren't all bad, especially since
Thomson seems to have licked that infamous on-board tuner problem in
its late-'80s-early-'90s TVs (the tuner is now mounted separately from
the main chassis). I have an RCA CTC185 I bought new seven years ago
that still works almost as well as when it was new; no major problems,
except the RF antenna connector port snapped off the tuner PC board a
couple of months after I purchased the set.

You are correct as to to it being something of a crapshoot these
days as far as quality of new electronics, appliances or anything else
goes, the presence of a well-known former American brand name on the
unit notwithstanding. I was lucky to have gotten a good TV when I
bought my CTC185 RCA, and I have a Zenith Sentry 2 19" set that was new
11 years ago which also still works amazingly well; however, many
others have not had nearly as good luck with theirs, as I've read in
the online discussion forums on this brand (and others). I do know that
I will steer clear of "Magnavox" branded TVs from now on, as I've read
some terrible things about these sets recently. Magnavox, like RCA, GE,
Zenith, etc. used to be a very good make of TV, audio, stereo, etc.
back when the company was based in Fort Wayne, Indiana. (Zenith was
good too when it was in Chicago, RCA's TVs were great when the company
was in New Jersey, etc.)

Today, however, Magnavox TVs, like Sylvania (to name but one other)
are made by Funai and have terrible reliability statistics. I read some
time ago, for example, that today's offshore-manufactured Magnavox
televisions are so light they will fall off any table or stand they are
put on if any amount of pressure is put on the cabinet--even to press
the front-panel volume, channel up/down, menu, power, etc. buttons. If
you have one of these sets, it is probably best to operate it mainly
from the remote and leave the front buttons alone unless you put a hand
on top of the TV to steady it while pressing the panel controls. I can
only guess how many "Magnavox" branded televisions have wound up in
repair stations (under warranty) in recent times with smashed CRTs or
other problems, caused when the set promptly fell off the table or
stand it was on at the time--and all the set owner was trying to do was
change channels or turn the darn thing on or off with the panel
buttons. As the expression goes, "this ain't your father's Magnavox"!

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV (email addy not shown to thwart spammers)
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Charles Schuler wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
ups.com...
Or am I just drinking the Koolaid?

A little information on RCA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA

I only asked because I was mindlessly sniffing through products by mfg
on e-bay and saw some VCRs up for auction in which Go-Video and RCA
appeared in the title.

Haven't found any connection via your link or otherwise.

-CC

Ebay sellers are famous for being misleading in their ads. Some are
from ignorance, while others are crooks.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida