Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 3COM 3C857 - PSU

Today's visit to the dump turned up a 3COM 3C857 DSL gateway, needless to
say I didn't get the matching wall wart, stamped on the back is 10 - 30VDC.
That seems to be an unrealistically wide range, especially when I downloaded
the user manual and saw the dire warnings to only use the correct power
unit! Anyone know what gives, such as can I get away with a PSU that just
tops 10V?

Also anyone know what I'm missing - not having the original install CD?

TIA.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"ian field" wrote in message
Today's visit to the dump turned up a 3COM 3C857 DSL gateway, needless to
say I didn't get the matching wall wart, stamped on the back is 10 -
30VDC. That seems to be an unrealistically wide range, especially when I
downloaded the user manual and saw the dire warnings to only use the
correct power unit! Anyone know what gives, such as can I get away with a
PSU that just tops 10V?

Get a multi voltage wall wart and step the output up until it works. If you
want to get fancy, see if it has a regulator inside and crank it up until
the voltage seems correct.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"ian field" wrote in message
Today's visit to the dump turned up a 3COM 3C857 DSL gateway, needless to
say I didn't get the matching wall wart, stamped on the back is 10 -
30VDC. That seems to be an unrealistically wide range, especially when I
downloaded the user manual and saw the dire warnings to only use the
correct power unit! Anyone know what gives, such as can I get away with a
PSU that just tops 10V?

Get a multi voltage wall wart and step the output up until it works. If
you want to get fancy, see if it has a regulator inside and crank it up
until the voltage seems correct.

Thanks - good idea! It has a switcher with a small-ish toroid, a 7-pin SMT
TO220 and a 3A SB rectifier, so 10 - 30V probably isn't that unrealistic
after all.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:

Today's visit to the dump turned up a 3COM 3C857 DSL gateway, needless to
say I didn't get the matching wall wart, stamped on the back is 10 - 30VDC.
That seems to be an unrealistically wide range, especially when I downloaded
the user manual and saw the dire warnings to only use the correct power
unit! Anyone know what gives, such as can I get away with a PSU that just
tops 10V?

Also anyone know what I'm missing - not having the original install CD?

TIA.

I was given three HP Jetdirect 300X Ethernet to Centronics printer
interfaces that are marked 9 to 35 VDC, and they had 13 VDC power
supplies with them.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
ian field wrote:

[...]

That sounds about the right ball-park, I'll search my tea chest of spare
wall warts for one marked 10V and pushes 12 - 13V off load.

If anyone can tell me, I'd still be interested to know what would be on the
original install CD if I had it - the driver I downloaded was less than 1Mb.