Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Tom is offline

Default Looking for replacement for LM387

Can anyone help, I am looking for a replacement for LM387 Low Noise
Dual Preamplifier which is now discontinued, I have look on the net
but no luck but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Thanks
--
Tom
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:17:31 GMT, Tom wrote:

Can anyone help, I am looking for a replacement for LM387 Low Noise
Dual Preamplifier which is now discontinued, I have look on the net
but no luck but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

Futurelec claims to have the LM387N in stock for $1.95. See
http://www.futurlec.com/ICLinearAmplifiers.shtml

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Tom is offline

On 31 Aug 2006 16:53:33 GMT, (Michael Black)
wrote:

Tom ) writes:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:55:24 GMT,
(GregS) wrote:

In article , Tom wrote:
Can anyone help, I am looking for a replacement for LM387 Low Noise
Dual Preamplifier which is now discontinued, I have look on the net
but no luck but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

NTE824

The problem is I am in the U.K and we do not get NTE devices.

Thanks.

I'd say that the problem is it was one of a number of devices intended
for "low noise dual preamplifier" applications, and there wasn't really
second sourcing. It's not as if it's an standard pin-out op-amp with
some specs spruced up for a specific application. There were various
devices at the time that were about the same thing (one might argue
that they all claimed to be the best device for the purpose), but they
all had differences in pin-outs or specs.

So the NTE was a good solution, since it would be a direct replacement.

Beyond that, unless you can find a source of the LM387, it will require
some reworking of the circuit.

Michael

I do not mind if the pin out is not the same (DIL or SIL) but it must
be low noise and bandwidth for 10 MHz or better, below is the spec.

The circuit it is in has a supply voltage of 26 volts.

The main problem is the large output swing.

• Low noise: 1.0 µV total input noise
• High gain: 104 dB open loop
• Single supply operation
• Wide supply range LM387: 9 to 30V LM387A: 9 to 40V
• Power supply rejection: 110 dB
• Large output voltage swing (VCC - 2V)p-p
• Wide bandwidth 15 MHz unity gain
• Power bandwidth 75 kHz, 20 Vp-p
• Internally compensated
• Short circuit protected

Thanks
--
Tom
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Can anyone help, I am looking for a replacement for LM387 Low Noise
Dual Preamplifier which is now discontinued, I have look on the net
but no luck but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

NTE824

The problem is I am in the U.K and we do not get NTE devices.

Thanks.

Dial Electronics' website in England is showing the LM387N for 1.96
GBP, see
http://www.dialelec.com/492.html
It might be worth contacting them to see if they really do have
some. Contact details at http://www.dialelec.com/contactus.html

We can order Farnell parts from Newark here. Can you do the same in reverse?

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Tom wrote:
I do not mind if the pin out is not the same (DIL or SIL) but it must
be low noise and bandwidth for 10 MHz or better, below is the spec.

The circuit it is in has a supply voltage of 26 volts.

The main problem is the large output swing.

• Low noise: 1.0 µV total input noise
• High gain: 104 dB open loop
• Single supply operation
• Wide supply range LM387: 9 to 30V LM387A: 9 to 40V
• Power supply rejection: 110 dB
• Large output voltage swing (VCC - 2V)p-p
• Wide bandwidth 15 MHz unity gain
• Power bandwidth 75 kHz, 20 Vp-p
• Internally compensated
• Short circuit protected

If pin compatibility doesn't matter how about this old workhorse - NE5534.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Tom wrote:
I do not mind if the pin out is not the same (DIL or SIL) but it must
be low noise and bandwidth for 10 MHz or better, below is the spec.

The circuit it is in has a supply voltage of 26 volts.

The main problem is the large output swing.

• Low noise: 1.0 µV total input noise
• High gain: 104 dB open loop
• Single supply operation
• Wide supply range LM387: 9 to 30V LM387A: 9 to 40V
• Power supply rejection: 110 dB
• Large output voltage swing (VCC - 2V)p-p
• Wide bandwidth 15 MHz unity gain
• Power bandwidth 75 kHz, 20 Vp-p
• Internally compensated
• Short circuit protected

If pin compatibility doesn't matter how about this old workhorse - NE5534.

Here is a dual. LM833
I think its gain of one stable.

Another precision single OP37, better pwr supply rejection if
thats inportant.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
GregS wrote:
If pin compatibility doesn't matter how about this old workhorse -
NE5534.

Here is a dual. LM833
I think its gain of one stable.

Memory is failing. NE 5532 is effectively a dual 5534. Still readily
available - which probably says much for its design.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Tom is offline

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:17:31 GMT, Tom wrote:

Can anyone help, I am looking for a replacement for LM387 Low Noise
Dual Preamplifier which is now discontinued, I have look on the net
but no luck but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

Thanks for everyone help, I have used LM833.
--
Tom