Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default New APC UPS battery charging yet drops charge %

I have had an APC 500 UPS for years. The battery started giving
warnings that it needed replaced. I didn't listen right away and
eventually the old battery caused problems. I ended up loosing two
PSU's and having flaky results on my WIFI AP until I realized the
problem was the UPS. So I removed the UPS.

I replaced the APC 500 UPS battery with a battery direct from APC. I
let it charge for a day before putting it back in. It is now back in
place and running. The APC software asked me if I replaced the battery
and I selected that I had.

Now the battery is going from 100% charged down. Right now it is at
78% and dropping slowly. Is this normal calibration? I can't find
anything about this on the web. I am worried that this is not normal
and there are additional problems with the UPS.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark Fortune wrote:

If I remember correctly, APC units do tend to do this during a
calibration test, and it takes a while too, although I cant remember
exactly how long. I noticed this problem too when I installed an apc
unit and spent a few hours trying to get hold of apc to find out that
this was indeed normal calibration. It should recharge again after it
hits 0%. I wouldnt count on it for backup power purposes until it
finishes its calibration though.

Oh and by the way, if you disconnect the power to the UPS during the
calibration, I seem to recall it will charge the battery to full and
restart the calibration.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Your right. That's what it did. It's now back to 100% and running
normal. Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Your right. That's what it did. It's now back to 100% and running
normal. Thanks.

Good, glad I could shed some light on the matter

p.s. please do not respond to this g-mail account - I never read it,
probably have 54839589380 spam messages waiting for me.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Same here. That's about all I use this gMail account for - posting
here. And signups with things that I thing will result in spam.

Home battery tester: measures voltage or current? Jon D UK diy 38 July 8th 06 04:37 AM
Charging leisure battery. Alec UK diy 25 June 20th 06 06:02 AM
When to replace a car battery Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Home Repair 63 February 19th 06 09:41 PM
Yet another NiCd charging question Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 12 February 11th 04 07:45 AM
Deep Cycle Lead-acid Battery Tips gothika Electronics Repair 2 July 17th 03 04:08 AM