Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bart Bervoets

Default testing computer power supplies

Is it bad for a computer power supply to be switched on without a load?
I know it's possible to start the power supply, i get loads of power
supplies in
from returns but i don't want to chance blowing a mainboard up
(i could hook an old cd rom drive up to put a load on 5 and 12v but
would like to avoid clutter.)

Bart Bervoets

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:03:44 +0200, Bart Bervoets wrote:

Is it bad for a computer power supply to be switched on without a load?
I know it's possible to start the power supply, i get loads of power
supplies in
from returns but i don't want to chance blowing a mainboard up
(i could hook an old cd rom drive up to put a load on 5 and 12v but
would like to avoid clutter.)

Put a bunch of power resistors in a switchbox. I used an old power
supply and kept its fan for cooling the resistors.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
junebug

Bart Bervoets wrote:
Is it bad for a computer power supply to be switched on without a load?
I know it's possible to start the power supply, i get loads of power
supplies in
from returns but i don't want to chance blowing a mainboard up
(i could hook an old cd rom drive up to put a load on 5 and 12v but
would like to avoid clutter.)

Just use an old hard drive or CD-ROM drive. That should be enough load
to get the power supply started.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

"Bart Bervoets" wrote in message
Is it bad for a computer power supply to be switched on without a load?
I know it's possible to start the power supply, i get loads of power
supplies in
from returns but i don't want to chance blowing a mainboard up
(i could hook an old cd rom drive up to put a load on 5 and 12v but
would like to avoid clutter.)

Bart Bervoets

Several internet vendors stock PC power supply testers. MCM Electronics has a
couple at
http://www.mcminone.com/category.asp...1000143&Page=1

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 02:40:28 +0100, mistermaniac wrote:

Bart Bervoets Wrote:
Is it bad for a computer power supply to be switched on without a load?
I know it's possible to start the power supply, i get loads of power
supplies in
from returns but i don't want to chance blowing a mainboard up
(i could hook an old cd rom drive up to put a load on 5 and 12v but
would like to avoid clutter.)

Bart Bervoets

Just build a dummy load with a bunch of resistors or so.
If you connect green and black, an ATX power supply will switch on

That depends on the color of cables the PS maker felt like using.
You should learn where on the power connector those two leads are instead
of relying on the PS maker following a particular color scheme.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Bervoets
Is it bad for a computer power supply to be switched on without a load?
I know it's possible to start the power supply, i get loads of power
supplies in
from returns but i don't want to chance blowing a mainboard up
(i could hook an old cd rom drive up to put a load on 5 and 12v but
would like to avoid clutter.)

Bart Bervoets
Just build a dummy load with a bunch of resistors or so.
If you connect green and black, an ATX power supply will switch on
__________________
http://www.retroforum.nl
The one and only dutch retrocomputingforum!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bart Bervoets

You should learn where on the power connector those two leads are instead
of relying on the PS maker following a particular color scheme.

True, the diagram is available so i can check which pin it is.

Bart Bervoets

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:34:21 +0200, Bart Bervoets wrote:

You should learn where on the power connector those two leads are instead
of relying on the PS maker following a particular color scheme.

True, the diagram is available so i can check which pin it is.

I learned (at least on a 20 pin ATX), that if you have the connector
facing you with the key to the right, shorting the two pins above the
key will turn the power supply on.

If it's been more than a few months since I last did the trick, I go
to google to doublecheck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Bart Bervoets" wrote in message
Is it bad for a computer power supply to be switched on without a load?
I know it's possible to start the power supply, i get loads of power
supplies in
from returns but i don't want to chance blowing a mainboard up
(i could hook an old cd rom drive up to put a load on 5 and 12v but
would like to avoid clutter.)

Bart Bervoets

http://www.certiguide.com/apfr/cg_ap...owerSupply.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ray L. Volts wrote:

"Bart Bervoets" wrote in message

Is it bad for a computer power supply to be switched on without a load?
I know it's possible to start the power supply, i get loads of power
supplies in
from returns but i don't want to chance blowing a mainboard up
(i could hook an old cd rom drive up to put a load on 5 and 12v but
would like to avoid clutter.)

http://www.certiguide.com/apfr/cg_ap...owerSupply.htm

It doesn't address his question. It also says:

"Be aware that a power supply may display proper voltages
when nothing is connected to it, yet these voltages can fall

below acceptable levels when a load is applied."

This is correct, but more often, voltages will be out of tolerance not
when a load is applied but unless a load is applied.

I wouldn't rely on PC "technician" courses or guides for correct
hardware information.