Posted to sci.electronics.repair
yhan

Default bios 1 beep then continuous until shutdown

hi,

i am troubleshooting a motherboard. Bios: Phoenix. Symptoms: During
Power on. it beeps once (normal beep) then bios and cpu informations
are displayed on the screen. As well as the message to press Del to
enter setup. At this point, the computer hangs and beeps continously
without pause until I turn the computer off. What I did so far were,
place a silicon grease (heat sink cream) b/w cpu and heatsink. Memory
was replaced. But the problem was not solved. I am thinking of a bad
power supply now. But let me ask first if someone had already came
across with this problem and can give me some troubleshooting guide.
thanks in advance.

ian

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"yhan" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi,

i am troubleshooting a motherboard. Bios: Phoenix. Symptoms: During
Power on. it beeps once (normal beep) then bios and cpu informations
are displayed on the screen. As well as the message to press Del to
enter setup. At this point, the computer hangs and beeps continously
without pause until I turn the computer off. What I did so far were,
place a silicon grease (heat sink cream) b/w cpu and heatsink. Memory
was replaced. But the problem was not solved. I am thinking of a bad
power supply now. But let me ask first if someone had already came
across with this problem and can give me some troubleshooting guide.
thanks in advance.

ian

You didn't mention what mobo you're using, but mobos will do this if the
memory timings aren't set correctly. Check with your mobo manual to find
the cmos reset jumper. Turn off the pc, place the jumper to clear cmos and
then power it up. You'll have to change your bios settings back the way you
had them before, but be careful with the memory timings.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ryan Weihl

yhan wrote:

hi,

i am troubleshooting a motherboard. Bios: Phoenix. Symptoms: During
Power on. it beeps once (normal beep) then bios and cpu informations
are displayed on the screen. As well as the message to press Del to
enter setup. At this point, the computer hangs and beeps continously
without pause until I turn the computer off. What I did so far were,
place a silicon grease (heat sink cream) b/w cpu and heatsink. Memory
was replaced. But the problem was not solved. I am thinking of a bad
power supply now. But let me ask first if someone had already came
across with this problem and can give me some troubleshooting guide.
thanks in advance.

ian

unplug all external devices and see if booting contineus.
rw