Posted to sci.electronics.repair
machinesmith

Default What happens when you bypass a interlock on a microwave?

This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when you
open the door while its running what happens?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"machinesmith" wrote in message
This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when
you open the door while its running what happens?

Your balls get hot, and drop off ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Land

"machinesmith" wrote in
:

This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave
going and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go
off when you open the door while its running what happens?

The microwaves come out the open door, and this is not a good thing for any
living creatures in the vicinity... including you! Remember, those
microwaves *cook* food, meaning they are capable of cooking you!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

"machinesmith" wrote in message
This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when
you open the door while its running what happens?

They call it microwave "radiation" for a reason, I suppose...

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:30:08 GMT, "machinesmith"
wrote:

This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when you
open the door while its running what happens?

Seriously, you'll be exposed to intense microwave radiation which
is likely to permanently damage your eyes at the very least. Don't do
it.

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

If you bypass the switches and the door is accidentally opened, the damage
to anyone or anything alive in the path of the radiation will have permanent
damage of some type.

Effects of microwave radiation at the intensity level that is from a
microwave oven, even if it is too weak to feel at the distance you may be
at, will cause eye damage, and promote the growth of cancer tissue.

Microwave radiation has to be very weak in order to not have a dangerous
effect. I think the safety rating for the maximum allowed is something like
50 uA/cm^2 (50 millionths of a watt at one centimetre at the minimal
distance from the point of transmission). The radiation from your microwave
oven is in the many hundreds of watts.

The radiation from your microwave oven is very intense for the purpose of
cooking food. This means that if you are exposed at a close enough distance,
you can be cooked!

--

JANA
_____

"machinesmith" wrote in message
This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when you
open the door while its running what happens?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

I like that one! It is actually the eyes that go first, then it is the
testicals. After that it is the kidneys, and then the liver.

--

JANA
_____

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"machinesmith" wrote in message
This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when
you open the door while its running what happens?

Your balls get hot, and drop off ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck

wrote:

This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when you
open the door while its running what happens?

I had a trainee once plug in a microwave while the door switches were
bypassed and my family jewels were in front of the cavity. My
offspring haven't been horrible mutants but I can't say I wasn't
worried. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

"JANA" wrote in message
I like that one! It is actually the eyes that go first, then it is the
testicals. After that it is the kidneys, and then the liver.

--

JANA
_____

Sounds like a recipe for some Arabic delicacy ...

First microwave the eyes, then the testicles. When tender and well cooked,
add in the kidneys, and finally the liver.

Serve with a bladder of boiled urine.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:35:21 -0400, "JANA" wrote:

[...]

If I remember correctly your innerds don't have any heat sensing
nerves (only on the skin). So if you're standing in front of your
modified microwave you could be cooking your insides without knowing
it or worse you could be expanding internal gases :-)
YUM YUM
Ray J

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field

wrote in message
[...]

Expanding gasses in the bowel can create a resonant cavity resulting in
sparks - kablammo!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field

wrote:

This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when
you
open the door while its running what happens?

I had a trainee once plug in a microwave while the door switches were
bypassed and my family jewels were in front of the cavity. My
offspring haven't been horrible mutants but I can't say I wasn't
worried. Chuck

You sure the missus didn't get some help elsewhere?!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

machinesmith wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when you
open the door while its running what happens?

This is where the expression "Stick a fork in me, I think
I'm done" came from.

Don't even think about it!

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Jim Land wrote:
"machinesmith" wrote in
:

This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave
going and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go
off when you open the door while its running what happens?

The microwaves come out the open door, and this is not a good thing for any
living creatures in the vicinity... including you! Remember, those
microwaves *cook* food, meaning they are capable of cooking you!

I opened the door on a crusty old microwave once and was surprised that
it didn't shut off. I closed the door as soon as it registered in my
brain that the thing was still running but I still got an instant headache.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob

"machinesmith" wrote in message
This is probably a stupid question, but when you have the microwave going
and you disable the door open switch so the microwave doesnt go off when
you open the door while its running what happens?

Not a very smart thing to do, but.....

There's an issue of distance. At a couple of feet, you're likely to feel
warmth. Closer, and you will sense the RF as heat ranging somewhere from
really hot to boiling the moisture and fat in your body. At about 4 feet
from the opening of the waveguide, the levels are down to about 5 mw/cm3,
which is the limit for a "controlled environment" Your eyes, and other
"enclosed, fluid filled" organs are most sensitive. Short of having your
head in the oven, it's likely that you'll move away from it before anything
really serious happens, as it will feel like you're in .... well, an oven.
I've read further down in the thread, and cancer was mentioned. While RF
energy can cause damage as a result of exposure, cancer is NOT one of the
results.

The other half of the equation is the electronic control panel for the oven.
Exposing the panel to a bunch of RF from an open door oven is likely to give
it a serious headache, and probably will put it to sleep, shutting down the
RF, but, maybe not.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Cataracts can occur at very low exposure rates!!!

Most people probably wouldn't experiment with their shiny new push button
microwave, more likely they'd wire up the interlock on an old manual oven
which would be easier to tamper with and less likely to fail due to RF
energy!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"ian field" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Both very true....
High levels of RF can pretty much instantly predispose you to developing
cataracts. Cancer is not one of the after effects under any circumstances.
Getting blasted with high level RF is not a good thing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

"ian field" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Not meaning to argue, but I know of people exposed to cellular frequencies
due to high phone usage (back years ago when analog was the technology) who
did contract skin cancer of the ear. I don't think that the jury is
completely in on the rf link to cancer. I do know that statistics show that
people exposed to high doses of magnetic fields have higher incidences of
leukemia. Again, the jury is still out. I think there is a lot to research
here. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

--
Brian

"The First Amendment has erected a wall of separation between
church and state, but that wall is a one directional wall; it keeps
the government from running the church, but it makes sure that
Christian principles will always stay in government."

Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States, January 1, 1802
in an address to the Danbury Baptists.

There was something going on in the 80s in an embassy in Russia where some
embassy staff contracted cataracts and/or brain tumours, these were later
blamed on some microwave communication or somesuch!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:

There was something going on in the 80s in an embassy in Russia where some
embassy staff contracted cataracts and/or brain tumours, these were later
blamed on some microwave communication or somesuch!

They were using high power microwaves to detect sound that FM
modulated the RF when the sound hit thin metal and vibrated.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
ian field wrote:

There was something going on in the 80s in an embassy in Russia where
some
embassy staff contracted cataracts and/or brain tumours, these were later
blamed on some microwave communication or somesuch!

They were using high power microwaves to detect sound that FM
modulated the RF when the sound hit thin metal and vibrated.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

That sounds about right - I wasn't sure what I remembered!