Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charlie Bress

Default Dell Dimension Power Supply

I am working on a Dell 2350. The original p/s appears to be dead.
I have an ATX p/s that will power up the box. I have nothing attached as
yet. No keyboard, mouse monitor etc. Just looking for life. The fans come
on. It is alive.

I am aware that Dell uses a nonstandard pinout. The pinout on the main power
connector matches up with my list of outputs for a standard ATX. There is
one extra connector that Dell uses. It brings 12 volt power to the mobo.
What is the purpose of this 12v line?
Will I create a problem by powering up the whole system to see if the
peripheral stuff works before I spring for the right replacement?

Is it feasible to simply splice this "extra" connector into the lines from
the main connector and use the p/s on hand?

Charlie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Keiser

The atx plug will fit physically but is probably wired differently.

See:

http://www.quepublishing.com/article...?p=339053&rl=1

Adapters available but overpriced:

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...=dellconverter