Posted to sci.electronics.repair
stevecrye

Default Follow up to "timex wont beep after battery replacement" from Feb 2006

Hi,

I just fixed the same problem with a novel method. I have a 100 lap
ironman triathlon. There was no problem with the spring, etc. As I
fiddled with it, I noticed it would beep if the case was not pressed on
all the way. This was very strange. There are two small silver contacts
on the edge of the battery cover, they are slightly curved and contact
the metal case, not the pezio. After puzzling over the problem, I did
something non-intuituve (using the old TS method of "if you are
baffled, change one thing and see what happens") -I cut a small peice
of paper and placed it over the two clips, so that they would not make
contact with the case. Bingo! Beeps great!. The paper is now a
permanent part of the watch.

This is weird, but it worked.

$teve
Stephen...
the "Alarm Buzzer" in digital watches is a piezo disk. A
VERY
thin gold/brass looking disk with a circle of Piezo electric crystal
that
looks like a circle of white paint. This disk is mounted in the back of
the
watch.
The case of the watch is one connector to the "Alarm Buzzer", the other
connector is ususally a VERY VERY TINY little spring attatched to the
innards (Electronics) of the Watch.
When you put the back of the watch on, the little spring makes contact
with
the "white" disk and completes the connection.

It's VERY easy to lose that spring!!! CAREFULLY take the back of the
watch
off and look for it. If it's still sticking up out of the electronics
then
the problem is related to something else. If not you'll have a problem
on
your hands. Not only will you have to find or make a new spring, you'll
have
to figure out where it connects on the circuit board.

One more thing...if everything else in the watch seems to work BUT the
alarm
then RESET is NOT the problem!

Hope this helps.

Cheers....Dean.