Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Any experience of parts only warranties

My philips dvd player is having issues and it's currently in the
parts-only phase of it's warranty.

The TV is losing sync and the level and color occasionally flicker -
i'm fairly sure something is wrong with either the DAC or the
amplifier. I haven't actually opened the unit up yet, but i'd imagine
that most of the electronics are on a single motherboard.

I presume that we are long past the days when their technicians would
actually dig through and find the individual component that was
failing. i'm sure if i did send it in for repair that they'd replace
the whole board.

Can I just call philips up with the part number and have them send me a
new one, or is parts-only a euphamism for "we'll charge more in labor
than a new player"?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tech Data

That last sentence pretty much sums it up. There are Phillips corporate
service centers in some larger cities. If you can locate one, you might
contact them to see how much to send it in. I've been warranty for 17
mfgs. before and, when we saw 'parts only' warranties come in, you can
bet we were charging shop COD rates. Mfgs, don't pay so good on labor.