Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M.

Default Alright... no balony...

Sony's TV brand is spelled starting with two overlapping V's. Most think
that this intends to be "WEGA". I think it is "VEGA". The manual and website
are reported to state it IS VEGA. When doing a VEGA search, I see no
association with Sony TV's, but I get swamped with WEGA associations.

Any thoughts on this confusion.

--
Dave M.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It's pronounced the same way as Wagner or Wehrmacht, as it comes from
the name of a German company that was acquired by Sony a few years back.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M.

--
Dave M.

wrote in message
oups.com...
It's pronounced the same way as Wagner or Wehrmacht, as it comes from
the name of a German company that was acquired by Sony a few years back.

That could easily be it!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M.

Yep. That is a German pronunciation. So, at least it sounds like a "v".

--
Dave M.

"Jerry G." wrote in message
oups.com...
In working for Sony in the past, and doing their service support, I
found that there is confusion all the way to the design group in Japan.

I was told by one person who worked in their promotions department that
they are under the impression that the namw is VVEGA, with the two V's
slightly overlapping each other to form a symbole at the same time.

Now, some confusion exists, because another promotions person told me
that the first guy is wrong. He told me that it is a fancy W, with
slightly overlappong tails in the center of it.

If you call them in Japan, I was told that you will get a different
answer, depending on who you talk to.

In the end, this is a very good confusion, because it generates a
mystery about the product's real name!

Most of the Sony employees from who,m I've met and spoke to,
pronounced the set's name with a "W", and not a "V" sound, unless his
mother tongue was from a language that has the "V" sound, but not the
W sound.

And so, they are ciontinuing their TV names under their Wega trademark
label.

And so... The confusion lives on!

Jerry Greenberg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think the W in the logotype is confusingly V-like as well. It kind of
gives the impression of a CRT with bad convergence.

Come to think of it, I've heard a lot of people pronounce Wagner with a
W sound too. The V sound seems to be almost exclusively German. Is the
word difficult for Japanese speakers to pronounce? That wouldn't help
much either..

Dave M. wrote:
--
Dave M.

wrote in message
oups.com...
It's pronounced the same way as Wagner or Wehrmacht, as it comes from
the name of a German company that was acquired by Sony a few years back.

That could easily be it!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M.

Hmmm. A swooping Eagle to devour all other TV's!

--
Dave M.

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

"Dave M." wrote in message
Sony's TV brand is spelled starting with two overlapping V's. Most think
that this intends to be "WEGA". I think it is "VEGA". The manual and
website
are reported to state it IS VEGA. When doing a VEGA search, I see no
association with Sony TV's, but I get swamped with WEGA associations.

Any thoughts on this confusion.

--
Dave M.

When shopping for my WEGA back in 2000, I recall reading that Sony had

taken
the name from an astronomical body:

http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Vega.html