Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken G.

Default XBOX help

It wont read games but it will read & play a CD . I suppose the lazer is
shot .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joust

common problem
replace the DVD drive.

"Ken G." wrote in message
It wont read games but it will read & play a CD . I suppose the lazer is
shot .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

"Joust" wrote in message
. ..
common problem
replace the DVD drive.

Very ture about it being a common problem, but you can't just go out and buy
any dvd drive and put it in an xbox. You either have to buy a used xbox dvd
drive from someone or there is a dvd drive you can hack the crap out of and
make it work.. Looks like too much effort for me to try and have it not work
right. I'd look into getting a new optical assembly, but first I'd try
cleaning it.

-Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

"Ken G." wrote in message
It wont read games but it will read & play a CD . I suppose the lazer is
shot .

Try Cleaning the dvd drive.. If that doesn't work look into getting a new
optical assembly.. You have to find out what kind of dvd drive you have
first.. If it is a thompson here is a link to buy a new optical assembly

http://tinyurl.com/hgr6m

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-XBOX-THOMSON...cmdZVie wItem

Check out www.xbox-scene.com they have all kinds of info on xbox related
repair and etc..

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Ken G. wrote:
It wont read games but it will read & play a CD . I suppose the lazer is
shot .

The DVD drive has failed, there's places that sell replacements, I don't
have a link on hand but Google should turn something up, just look for
Xbox DVD replacement.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

wow.. all I had seen in the past was how to hack a pc drive to make it
work.. but after a quick google I found a real xbox dvd drive..
http://store.richspsxparts.com/xbthdvddr.html

"James Sweet" wrote in message
Ken G. wrote:
It wont read games but it will read & play a CD . I suppose the lazer is
shot .

The DVD drive has failed, there's places that sell replacements, I don't
have a link on hand but Google should turn something up, just look for
Xbox DVD replacement.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lance

forget Google there is a guy on ebay that sells the thompson drives new
for 24.95 i think just search for the xbox replacement drive....
comes from canada unless you can do better than 24.95 for a new drive

Ken G. wrote:

It wont read games but it will read & play a CD . I suppose the lazer is
shot .

The DVD drive has failed, there's places that sell replacements, I don't
have a link on hand but Google should turn something up, just look for
Xbox DVD replacement.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken G.

Thanks ! i will start at ebay

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joust

DONT get a thompson.
spend a little extra for a Samsung or a Philips.
I'll bet you have a Thompson and that is your problem.
There is also a newer LG drive.
all can be used seamlessly.
there are PC versions of Samsung and LG drives that can be modded but it'll
cost you about the same and is not for beginners and honestly not worth the
effort. Lots of real drives are out there.
"Ken G." wrote in message
Thanks ! i will start at ebay