Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tvguy

Default rca 31

I have learned more than alot of you have learned on this site. I have
people calling me from all over the country asking me to go work for
them because when I do something I do it right and I don`t set here
on forums telling customers to go out and fix the smp`s when they
don`t even now where the HOT is at. How can people like that do a top
quality repair on there own tv ?????

When you are setting here on the forums telling cunsumers how to fix
there own things then you are not much of a tech because all your
doing is putting these people at risk of getting a bad shock or even
much worse and your not supporting your own shop and services. I will
never go out on any forum and do that to amnyone that doesn`t know the
first thing about tv repairs. Wake up guys your killing your own
business. No wonder there are shops closing everyday with poeple like
you guys working in them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken G.

When you are setting here on the forums telling cunsumers how to fix
there own things then you are not much of a tech because all your doing
is putting these people at risk of getting a bad shock or even much
worse and your not supporting your own shop and services. I will never
go out on any forum and do that to amnyone that doesn`t know the first
thing about tv repairs. Wake up guys your killing your own business. No
wonder there are shops closing everyday with people like you guys
working in them.

Its to late .. many people tinker with all sorts of electical appliances
If they at least inquire here they will learn how to better not get
shocked .
Repair shop business is not failing because average people are fixing a
few tv sets . Its failing because of the low cost of buying new and used
replacement appliances ....along with some shops high repair charges and
or the high cost of some parts these days .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

It is hard to take you seriously when you make the statement

"Wake up guys your killing your own business. No wonder there are shops
closing everyday..."

in one paragraph, then say

"Repair shop business is not failing because average people are fixing a few
tv sets."

I think your second paragraph is correct. On the matter of sharing advice
with non-techs, I can't see where you suggest drawing the line. How do you
decide who is qualified to get advice? There are lots of techs out there
who know a lot less than many really smart do-it-yourselfers. If you feel
that strongly that consumers should not have access to advice on fixing
things, then we should not discuss it at all on a public forum. There are
lots of private lists and forums for techs if that is what you prefer. I
use them all the time. This debate is going on in the TechAssist list right
now. Frankly, I don't see where it does our industry any good to be closed
in terms of information. The manufacturers are doing that to us, just like
you suggest doing it to consumers. I vote for open forums and for
supporting companies like Hitachi, who are open with support.

Leonard