Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tvguy

Default rca 31

I may agree with you but this guy is doing his own home repair.
Everyone is telling this guy that don`t even know what a horizontal
output is or even knows where it`s located at to go ahead and change
caps in the smp`s. All you guys are doing by telling him these things
is going to make his set even more worse than it is. It is much easier
for him without making other damage to his set is to just change these
couple little parts by the HOT and that should cure his problem. Once
he starts in the powersupply and makes a mistake it will be hard to
trck down what had happened. So I would suggest if you all want him
to start working on the smp`s is to take the set in to his nearest
repairshop and have them fix it before the set ends up being
trashed.

We all know how much of a pain that these 169 chassis are to fix. So
I would suggest this guy to take this set to the repairshop to have
it done before he finds he`s got himself into more problems by
listening to all you guys telling him to work somewheres that could
cause him more problems and end up costing him more money in the long
run.

Leonard Caillouetwrote:

It may have nothing to do with his problem, but any tech who works on
the
ctc169 chassis should know that these caps are a problem waiting to

happen
and if they test high in ESR should be changed. It would be poor

service
not to give the set a thorough evaluation before suggesting a fix.

If he
does not have the equipment to test them, he should at least change

the two
caps on the smps controller IC, which are the source of more

failures on
these sets than any other.

Some shops don't look for potential problems waiting to happen. We

feel
that a complete estimate includes checking the stuff that tend to

cause
other problems.

Leonard

"tvguy" wrote in message
. ..
I have been doing electronics for the last 30 years. I have not

seen
where the smps had caused his type of problem Unless there was
something I have missed reading in his post. I still would say we
need to know what was wrong with this flyback first before we start
saying other things worng with his set. We need to know why he had
put goop on it. This maybe his only cause of his problem at this
point.
[/quote:b2554bd4e1]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
kip

CTC169 A Pain to fix.!!!!..I dont think so.
You have to know what your doing.

Leonard Caillouetwrote:

[...]

"tvguy" wrote in message
. ..
I have been doing electronics for the last 30 years. I have not

seen
where the smps had caused his type of problem Unless there was
something I have missed reading in his post. I still would say we
need to know what was wrong with this flyback first before we start
saying other things worng with his set. We need to know why he had
put goop on it. This maybe his only cause of his problem at this
point.
[/quote:b2554bd4e1]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:36:35 -0500, "kip" wrote:

CTC169 A Pain to fix.!!!!..I dont think so.
You have to know what your doing.

Guys, I love xxx169 chassis for CRT & projector, real money maker and
reliable to repair.

Yes, replace all 4 caps in power supply, pincushion (bowed picture)
problem tend to be two parts (C4402 box cap & CR4402 diode marked on
circuit board as C402 & CR402, don't forget the tiny ferrite bead when
putting new diode back in), if small transistor off the pincushion
coil is bad, replace it as well (2N2222 works as a sub).

I know about those melted chocolate (used to be a rubber feet domes).
Eeeewww! Tercious stuff to clean.

Cheers, Wizard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del

tvguy wrote:
I may agree with you but this guy is doing his own home repair.
Everyone is telling this guy that don`t even know what a horizontal
output is or even knows where it`s located at to go ahead and change
caps in the smp`s.

The 169's smps will cause overvoltage to the HV\Sweep circuits, and any
quality repair must include addressing these problems. Good
technicians know this. Most of the people who responded to the OP are
professionals. Either fix it right, or don't fix it.

tvguy wrote:
We all know how much of a pain that these 169 chassis are to fix.

The 169??? No harder to repair than any other premium chassis. This is
an excellent design that runs perfectly when properly repaired. We
still sell these used (both DV and PTV) and they all get a full 1 year
warranty. They never come back.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

I think they are generally easy to fix if you cover all the common stuff.
Sure, you get a dog every now and then, but in what sets do you not? Easy
fixes, mostly, and tons of tips in several places online and in the various
databases.

If you think these are tough to fix you have not learned much in your thirty
years.

Leonard